1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what is proper plug gap on a 98 vortec 5.7?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kawasaki_kid, Apr 3, 2010.

1. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid Rockstar 100 Posts

i am going to install a new set of plugs on my 98 silverado. i dont have a manual. i am looking for the proper spark plug gap for a vortec 5.7L?
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Most of Today's Spark plugs are Pre-Gapped right out of the Box,.....The Gap is 0.60
  3. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid Rockstar 100 Posts

okay thanks. to be honest ive never changed plugs on a car/truck before, just powersports and power equipment where i always double check the gap.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I would still double check the gap on them. And if you are going with factory AC delco plugs which work well in the Vortec motor then absolutely be sure you check. I just did them on my 1988 and they were gaped at .45.. Just a heads up
  5. jedepsub

jedepsub Rockstar

I looked in the Manual it is .060 inch gap.
  6. murdog94

OH no i meant the new ones out of the box were gapped at .45... just warning for a double check before installing the new ones.. The ones that came out were just plain old shot on my truck...
  7. Ronnell21

Ronnell21 New Member

changed mine yesterday and was gapped at .060 out the box. i did double check before i left the store though
  8. murdog94

Gotta love it.. they might actually be a bit different for the newer models... so who knows..
  9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

On the A/C Delco Online parts Catalog it show the following.
    On the,
    1988 to 1995 Chevy's with the 5.7 liter..350....the Gap is 0.45

On the,
    1996 to 1999 Chevy's with the 5.7 Liter...350...the Gap is .060
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  10. murdog94

See hence why i was WAAAYYY off... HAHA oh well elasson learned