1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is the best transmission for our trucks?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by PantheraUncia, Sep 14, 2012.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

If I'm going to pull the transmission out to fix a pump problem I'm going to rebuild it so that I've got plenty more miles coming from it.

Recommendations on torque convertor? How about stall?

For reference my vehicle is a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. I use it for light off-roading (10-15% of the time), occasional (10% of the time) towing up to 7000lb GVWR (max limit of trailer plus wheat's loaded on it), and pavement driving (remainder of time). It will probably see some beach driving, too.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Theres a lot of good ones on the market, most of the choice is gonna be determined by what RPM range you want to shift at and that questions answered by do you want something that runs like a dragster or are you looking for something with smoother shifts and a little friendlier on fuel mileage. Keeping in mind you do tow once in a while I would probably look at something around 2300 to 2600, much higher and you get into the range where they shift harder and much lower would be hard on the trans when towing.
    Summit has a good selection and used to have a great calculator to determine the best compromise for a stall convertor for a drivers individual intended use.
  3. Kady

Kady New Member

I loved my 4L80E.. Took anything I could throw at it... Only took me a few months to blow my 4L60E...
  4. grampy

grampy New Member

What could be in the future is the CVT, I know there are some in a few small cars now. I know they work efficiently in larger equipment now.
    AGCO - Massey Ferguson tractors have several models ranging from 100 to 300+ h.p. farm tractors using CVT transmissions. Can't recall when they (AGCO ) started using the CVT, but it's been several years - from what I've heard, they do quite well.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I've heard and seen they work well, a buggy owner that plays at one of the off-road parks I go to had a CVT with a custom machined adaptor set-up to run divorced, you arent going any where fast because of the final drive is a little low but they put up with about any abuse you can throw at them and unlike some transmissions that'll get a little sloppy if you get the truck to far over on the side they seem to do real well in severe off-camber situations.