1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

What is the best way to replace the fuel pump?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by CowsPatoot, Jun 30, 2012.

1. kevin11

kevin11 New Member

I am working on a car i I think the fuel pump might be bad. How can I test it to make sure its bad before i buy a new one? I took the fuel line off the filter and turned on the key and it came out very slow. Is that a good indcation its bad or should i do somthing els?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
  2. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I am working on a car i I think the fuel pump might be bad. How can I test it to make sure its bad before i buy a new one? I took the fuel line off the filter and turned on the key and it came out very slow. Is that a good indcation its bad or should i do somthing els?

I usually open the fuel pressure regulator return line and attach a longer hose and use a 5 gallon bucket to collect the fuel. Then find the fuel pump relay, pull it out and be ready to put a jumper on the 30 and 87 terminals and to start a stop watch. Most 4 cylinder fuel pumps put out about 50-60 ounces per minute or 25-30 ounces per 30 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
  3. thunderhawk

thunderhawk New Member

just an fyi, if your fuel pump quits on you, you can actually get it running again long enough to get you where you want to go. have someone crank the engine over while you beat on the gas tank with a hammer or pipe. trust me it'll work. it got me 50 miles back home and i had to climb under the truck 4 or 5 times and keep hitting it!

4. Patman

Patman Rockstar

my brother had a fuel pump work for months after he hit the bottom of the tank with his wheel nut wrench in a drive through... then when it finally quit again (at a gas station) there was no starting it again. we dropped the tank on it and replaced the fuel pump assembly, took us about 2 hours on the floor in the driveway.

5. 69duke

69duke New Member

Just replaced mine on a 01 Silverado. I saw the raise the bed. I have an electric hoist so it would not be a problem. I checked getting to the bolts. Some are easy can do with an impact some are not. Bumper braces and what not in the way. I dropped the tank in 30 min's Two straps. The 3 fuel lines I got off with needle nose pliers. The 2 electric plugs came out no problem. Removed the fill pipe at the fuel door. The hose clamps were easy to get loose but couldnt pull the rubber hose off. It came out all together. Then with it on the floor I could get it off. Hit the ring one time with a hammer and it spun and that was it. My filters were clogged up and some trash was in the little rubber valves holding them open so Im guessing thats why it couldnt make pressure. Bought just the Delco pump on e bay for $40. Didnt need the whole canister. Put it all back together and it was done, Longest time was waiting for the pump. Advance Auto and Napa none carried just the pump. Whole deal about $300. I got a quote to replace it $850. Nope I got more time than money.