1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is the difference between a Silverado/Siera and a C/K ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by PantheraUncia, Jan 11, 2012.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

So when I am looking for parts, or registering the truck with the insurance company, etc........ Is it a silverado/siera or a C/K....?

What does C/K mean? is it like a work truck from the 70's or something with like no options in it?

Thanks
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Your truck is a Silverado/Sierra
    C/K designations were for 1973 to 1987 trucks, they had a package level name like Bonanza, Cheyenne, Sierra Classic, Sierra, Silverado, thase were all trim levels the C designator was for a 2wd GM truck C1500/C2500/C3500 all the way up to C8500 if I remember correctly, K designator was for 4wd GM truck, I only remember seeing them as K1500/K2500/K3500.
    Full size Blazers their GMC cousin also used the C/K designator depending on drive axles.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

nak,
    Keep in mind that while Silverados and Sierras share a number of parts, there ARE minor differences. Fortunately for you, you have a Silverado. Errors in parts compatibility differences made by manufacturers tend to error on the side of the compatibility with the Silverados. A good example of this are 03-06 tail lights. Silverados use a 4-plug assembly consisting of 3x3157 bulb sockets and 1x194 bulb socket ... while Sierras tails of the same years only have a 3-plug assembly consisting of 3x3157 sockets. A number of (most) aftermarket tail manufacturers show the same part number tail light as interchangeable between 03-06 Silverados and Sierras ... when they're not. I've been bitten by this three times when ordering aftermarket tails ... until I figured out that 03-06 Sierras are using 99-02 Silvy tails. :)

A Silverado owner would have been fine when ordering, though, as the tails I received in each case worked in the relevant years of a Silverado. So, the Silvy takes precedence among aftermarket manufacturers ... while the Sierra is clearly an afterthought.
  4. billnorman

billnorman Member

Like, the designation C/K means they don't care how many wheels it drives, it is either 2 or 4, and it's a 1960 through 1999. They can also give you the choice of 1500, which means 1/2 ton carrying capability.
  5. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts

Not much to add, Nak , these guys have it covered like a blanket