What is the differnece?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by gmcman2005, Dec 24, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. gmcman2005

gmcman2005 New Member

Hi Guys-
    I have noticed that GMC Sierra's tend to sit lower than Chevrolet Silveradoes, Mine is a 2005 Sierra and it sits a lot lower than my 2000 Silverado did. Is there a suspension differnece or is the height difference due to tire size. Thanks in advance!
  2. MAsZ71

MAsZ71 New Member 100 Posts

There are a lot of factors that impact ride height. Tire/wheel size being one of the first that comes to mind. Are you comparing similar option packages? 4wd vs. 2wd? Towing package vs. none? Did you own both the 2000 and 2005 from new? If not, maybe the original owners made some suspension adjustments. Lifts...Leveling....

I personally don't know if there were any differences in suspension set-up between the two years. I am sure some of the "experts" here will chime in!! :great:
  3. gmcman2005

gmcman2005 New Member

I bought both of the trucks used. Both are 1/2 ton, 4x4 extended cab regular boxes. Both equiped with Z71 offroad package. In the year i owned the 2000 Silverado I dont remember seeing any mods that would make it sit higher than my 2005 Sierra. My next door neighbor owns a 2004 Silverado and his sits about 2 inches higher. His has no mods. I guess it could be tire size as I cant think of anything that wold be different. Not that how high it sits matters from a ride or comfort or performance standpoint...the higher ones look nicer imo....
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

GMC's always ride smoother than Chevys, I'm guessing GMC uses progressive rate springs.
    This would explain the ride and stance.
    Look up the spring part numbers and I'd bet their different for the two trucks.
  5. Slim-pickins

Slim-pickins New Member

I know the answer

It's because the GMC's are "professional grade":lol:
  6. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I don't know if its still on newer models, but the older 2500 on a GMC use the frame from a 1 ton. And the chevy is a 1500 frame. Weight diffrents. !!!!!!!
  7. Stealth

Stealth New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

what about the engines? are they different on the two vehciles?