What is the metal thing that came with the rtv sealant for?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by PantheraUncia, Dec 25, 2016.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I ordered the magical GM/Delco RTV sealant and the tubes came with some sort of metal thing, does anyone know what it is for? (It's at the bottom of each package. 0002.jpg

2. Hightower

Hightower New Member

My guess is it's a applicator spreader/putty knife kind of deal. I know one of those never came with any RTV I ever bought.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    PantheraUncia likes this.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

From what I can see of it through the packaging it appears to be a twist handle to put on the bottom edge of the sealant tube and roll/squeeze the sealant out evenly in a perfect bead.

PantheraUncia and thegawd like this.
  4. thegawd

thegawd Rockstar 2 Years 1000 Posts

that makes sense to me TBP, and a damn great idea. these tubes almost always end up broken and all over your hands if you keep them around long enough.

5. Hightower

Hightower New Member

There would have to be a split in the shaft to be able to insert the flat end of the tube to use it as a twist handle. I do not notice one in the pic. That's why i'm leaning towards it being an aplicator. I was thinking the same thing at 1st. It would help to see it out the package. :)

6. thegawd

thegawd Rockstar 2 Years 1000 Posts

its damn hard to see but I do see a bent over channel on the right side that the tube would slide into. but ya seeing it out of the package would definitely help identify it a lot better.

Screenshot_2016-12-25-13-54-07-1519290976.png

7. PantheraUncia

I took it out of the package, this should give a better idea of what it is, I looked at it and it cannot fit the end of the tube, but it has a channel in it. 0006.jpg 0009.jpg 0006.jpg 0009.jpg

8. PantheraUncia

I think I figured it out..... the flat end of the tube goes in the slot and then the flat thing is turn the tube to squeeze all the rtv out of it so there is none left in the tube.

thegawd, Goldie, xPosTech and 3 others like this.
  9. PantheraUncia

It would work on a tooth paste tube also, etc

thegawd, Goldie and kennythewelder like this.
  10. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

When the tube is empty, don't throw the "tool" away. You'll find it will come in handy for other such applications like small tubes of caulk, glue, etc. At least that has been the case for me.