1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is the preferred "best" battery for a 2002 k2500 with the 6 liter engine.

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by stephenwsmith, Oct 29, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. stephenwsmith

stephenwsmith New Member

I'm looking for what you guys use here, because I figure you've been down the road before. Looks like we won the suburban, and its battery is deader than dead, so first up on the rehab is a new battery.. What do you recommend I buy?

Stephen
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have bought 3 Optima batteries in the past five years, two yellow tops and one red top. The red top is still going strong, but both yellow tops were defective and had dead cells from the get go. A while back they had a massive problem with several batches of batteries that were bad, mine were among this group supposedly they have gotten better. But at $200+ a piece I have gone back to the Wal-Mart Ever ready batteries which do the job all the same. $49.99 for the battery in my s10 daily driver, with 5-130 watt spot lights which I use quite a bit. I usually get about 3 years out of one, so that makes me happy.
  3. Naptime

Naptime New Member 100 Posts

Another vote for Walmart. I have no valid reason other than they're near my house.
  4. ahm1127

ahm1127 New Member 100 Posts

Almost every battery is fine, just check the amps are similar to what your replacing. I would go with a dual battery, will never hurt.
  5. stephenwsmith

stephenwsmith New Member

Will a 8" Side Terminal/Top Terminal Battery fit my 2500 4*4 Suburban: (See Specs)

The battery place is recommending this battery, do I have room for the height of a dual terminal battery, I frequently jump start other people so having top terminals would really be nice, particularly for a dual terminal battery if it fits?

Stephen

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Description:[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: line"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: spacer"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][h=2]Deka 778DT 12-volt Ultimate Advanced Generation Battery. Group 34/78 850 CCA; 115 RC; 1020 Ref CA. 24 Month Free Replacement within 85 Month Warranty - Pro Rata.[/h][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Features:[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    • [h=2]Group 34/78[/h]
    • [h=2]850 CCA; 115 RC; 1020 Ref CA.[/h]
    • [h=2]24 Month Free Replacement within 85 Month Warranty - Pro Rata[/h]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: productDetailTitle"]Product Details:[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE="class: productDetails, width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 30%"]Product Length: [/TD]
    [TD="width: 70%"]10.75 inches[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 30%"]Product Width: [/TD]
    [TD="width: 70%"]6.9 inches[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 30%"]Product Height: [/TD]
    [TD="width: 70%"]8.0 inches[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 30%"]Product Weight: [/TD]
    [TD="width: 70%"]41.0 pounds[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
  6. silverhobey

silverhobey Member 100 Posts

I agree with the Wal-Mart Enregizer Batteries .....great price, until you decide if you want
    to go with performance a few years down the road....p.s..you can probably sell you Wal-Mart battery
    later on if you decide to upgrade !!!..I can't wait to get my Crew Cab switched over to Dual-Batteries !!!
  7. ahm1127

Should be fine, thats a good idea. Whats in there now as far as 850 CCA; 115 RC?
    You should have plenty of room for second battery, will never regret it!
  8. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 New Member 100 Posts

You know what I have a red top Optima in my car that was in that bad batch of dead cell batteries. I got a replacement and all is fine now. I have purchased batteries from Autozone and all that good stuff, same thing as those low price Wal Mart batteries to me at least. I have no problem with the Wal Mart batteries myself. My truck battery from the factory the AC Delco ended up dying at about 30,000 miles because of a dead cell. I mean all battery companies have their issues just make sure that you have enough cca's.
  9. stephenwsmith

stephenwsmith New Member

what does the 115 rc mean?

what does the 115 rc mean?

10. ahm1127

Cold cranking amps (CCA) is the amount of current a battery can provide at 0°F. The rating is defined as the amperage a lead-acid battery at that temperature can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12-volt battery).

Reserve capacity minutes (RCM), also referred to as reserve capacity (RC), is a battery's ability to sustain a minimum stated electrical load; it is defined as the time that a lead-acid battery at 80°F (27°C) will continuously deliver 25 amperes before its voltage drops below 10.5 volts.