1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what is the secret to installing sway bar links?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Indyandy, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Indyandy

Indyandy Member

2000 K2500 7.4L
    I finally got the old ones off, but I cannot get enough bolt thread on the new ones to go on. The bolts are the same length. I loosened the sway bar brackets. The frame is jacked up, but I cannot compress the lower a arm and stabilizer bar together. What am I doing wrong? it looks like the new bushings are holding me up. When I took the old links off there was 1 inch of thread showing past the nut. This has to be compressed, but how?
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

my guess is you have the wrong bushings. if the bushings are for a smaller DIA. bar then , this will occur. this is a common problem with these parts.
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Did you use longer spacers between the bushings? Put the truck back on the ground and the A Arms should be higher to match the bolts. Photo-0279 (1).jpg Photo-0277.jpg
  4. Indyandy

Indyandy Member

No, spacers and bushing were the same. I finally tightened and retorqued the sway bar clamps to get that done. Let the truck down and installed the nuts without the last washer. Tighten the nuts to draw it down. Then used a rachet strap around the sway bar and lower control arm to hold it in place while I removed the nut and installed the washer. Reinstall the nut and torqued down.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

That will work....