1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is this truck???

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Tim Braun, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Tim Braun

Tim Braun New Member

Hi all. I'm new to the forums. My past experience is all in Dodge and motorcycles so I'm a bit unsure what this is. I found this truck rotting away near me and I'm in the process of trying to negotiate for it. Can anyone give me some insight on what exactly it is I'm looking at here?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I am not an expert, but it looks like a 70's early 80's Chevy or GM with a custom hood and custom front bumper and bumper bar. I am sure someone will be able to identify it.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I am just wondering why there is a super swamper on only one tire all the rest are stock.
  4. 1993gmc

1993gmc New Member

I say it looks like fun once you get it going.
  5. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It looks like an old Army truck. We used to have one at the fire department that we used as a brush truck. If it is military, it will be diesel with a 24 volt electrical system.

We ended up getting rid of it because it was too expensive to buy parts for. Parts were sometimes hard to find too.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  6. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Cease negotiations until you know what you're negotiating for. I don't know what it is but a diamond in the rough looks just like a goat turd so be sure you don't pay diamond prices for goat. Good start by asking here!
  7. Tim Braun

Tim Braun New Member

By negotiations, I simply meant inquiring about the truck. Here's the story:

This truck was originally dropped off at a garage by me to have the shop owner sell it for the guy that owns this truck. The guy simply vanished off the face of the earth about 3 years ago. I've talked to the shop and they're not sure what to do because they can't get in touch with the guy. No phone numbers work.

I've been doing some research and from what I can tell, the shop is able to file for a mechanic's lien and then sell it outright. I haven't mentioned this to the shop owners yet as I'm still trying to figure things out on my end.

What would be a fair price on this thing? I don't have any other info yet. Going to see the shop owners this week sometime. I'm assuming it doesn't run.

There is some surface rust on the bed & hood. Nothing all the way through. Interior is pretty much gone and some racing seats were put in. It's a manual transmission.
  8. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

9. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It's definitely an old GM truck from the 80's. That's about all we can tell from the pics. Even though it is green, it may or may not be an old military truck. The only basis for that is its color and then it appears to have had a lot of mods done to it. And, looking closely at the first, it looks like it doesn't even have a bed. Like dpete said, VIN number would be the best route aside from popping hood and doing some investigating in person.

ETA: LOL, after right clicking and viewing the whole image, I see it has a flat bed on it.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It looks like a mid 80's CUCV Military issue truck thats been modified.
    The best way to tell is if it has a 24 volt electrical system and a Diesel engine.
    They were built with flat beds for special duty, i.e. as tow tugs for Air Craft on unimproved fields and also as heavy equipment trailer haulers, unless someone else modified the rear suspension after the fact I'm thinking it was an Air Craft tow tug, it looks a little short.
    Those trucks were monsters that could run through almost anything but they did have a weakness with the normally aspirated 6.5 Diesel engine.
    Google CUCV and you should be able to find plenty of web pages about it, theres quite a few clubs devoted to those Military cast off trucks.
    Boyce Equipment handles a lot of parts for those, also look at Memphis Equipment.
    Nice find, looks like it needs work but when their up and running they make great play trucks.