1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What is this white crap? And how do I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Jackalope, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Jackalope

Jackalope New Member

On my new 2011 Silverado, it's got that dark gray plastic lip on the tailgate and around the mirrors and it's got these light gray or white ... streaks or marks or something. I've tried scrubbing it off and nothing gets it. How do you restore the color?
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Is it Wax or The great Zebra strips that GM gets on the plastic?
  3. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

My 08 had the same deal on it.. When i wash my truck i also wax it AND the plastic exterior pieces and then i hit them pretty heavy with armor-all. It has worked so far to keep them from getting any kind of discoloration.
  4. Jackalope

Jackalope New Member

It's neither. It started almost as soon as I brought it home before I was able to wax it and it's gotten worse.

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

My truck is only five months old and it's been waxed twice. Don't think that's it.
  5. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 New Member

That sounds messed up man....i would make the dealer fix that nonsense for free...
  6. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

I think you mistook what I was meaning. When I bought my 08 (NEW) I had the same problem. I was just telling you how I fixed it and kept from coming back. Also, its either Mother's or Meguiars (cant remember at the moment which) that makes a product called "back to black" that I've used in the past that worked well also. If none of the above help. Dealership it.
  7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Remember it could have been on the black before you bought it and the dealer just covered it up before you picked it up. And now it is washing off..Can you take a pic and post it?

As A Avalanche owner we have seen it all on the plastic. Some spray on a producy called Gaterback (Google it) I use Floor wax (Futrua) Thats right Floor wax. A little tacky when you put it on but drys fast and will last over 6 months will not streak or wash off.. AmorAll other then tires Never touchs my truck..
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I've seen people use floor wax before, works real good.
    We used to use cooking spray on polished metal and plastic parts on our aircraft in the Navy, left them shiny, helped keep them clean, and reduced friction.
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My dad uses Nu Vinyl on his Avalanche plastic and it works very well for 6-8 months
  10. UsafMoore67

UsafMoore67 New Member

For all exterior plastic trim I have always used ICE polish, works wonders, also works on window trimmings...pretty much ANYTHING exterior, never tried it on interior however.