1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what is wrong with my tranny, loosing gears

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kawasaki_kid, Jul 17, 2010.

1. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid New Member

... i love my truck... [​IMG] i drove my truck out of town last night to pick up a snowmobile(20ish miles). no problems on the way out, everything sounded/felt normal. never had any problems with my transmission actually. parked my truck, went inside for a minute, came outta the house to move my truck closer to the sled. go to back out of my parking spot, nothing in reverse, truck wont move, doesnt even feel like it wants to move, seems to move fine in drive

. outcome is that when im in reverse or park and throttle it up the tranny just winds up, sorta sounds like a turbo spooling up, neutral it does nothing strange, drive it will move but does the same whining as you get over 20km/h. [​IMG] any ideas?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

You will need to get the codes for the tranny pulled.. It could be as simple as a solinoid.
  3. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid New Member

ill be taking it to a tranny shop tomorrow afternoon. hope its not a total rebuild. that doesn't really suit my plans for this fall(new snowmobile)
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

I know... Everytime my truck brakes it takes a few more $ out of my Sled fund... Just make sure you talk to more than one tranny shop since a lot of them love the rebuild.
  5. NastyZ28

NastyZ28 New Member

You lost reverse, 1st & 3rd?
    The sunshell is broken. This means overhaul time. When it's overhauled a heavier sunshell will be installed so it won't break again.
  6. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid New Member

you called it, sunshell was sheared off at the splines. also 2 of my #1 clutches had the teeth sheared off. replaced the clutches, shell, seals(incl. tranny to transfer)and a clutch band?, all with heavier parts as you said. total was $1680. it was a great way to start my weekend, dropping 1700 bucks on my truck. want to know the kicker? the day after i picked it up from the tranny shop my front axle started pissing fluid, blew out a axle seal i guess. boooo