What is your career? What do you do?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by XtremeAaron, Feb 17, 2010.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Well after I got out of high school, I enlisted in The Marine Corps Delayed Entry until I tore ligaments in my ankle after rolling it going up and down "Mt. Suribachi" which was a big dirt mound about 150 feet up. Then I went back to crawfishing in the spillway which I started doing as soon as I could drive until I realized that I'm losing money rather than making money. So now I'm wating to take a test to get in the nuke plant where my dad was for 23 years doing preventative maintenance.

---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 AM ----------

Oh and I've been wanting to become a Police Officer either part time or full. 4 cousins are Police Officers and my cousin is married to the chief.

2. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I'm an EMT and currently in Paramedic school...but I'm injured and on light duty, so I get to sit in an office until my wounds heal. It drives me nuts because I'd rather be out in the field, but it'll come back in just a couple of more weeks. Wouldn't trade my job for anything...It's a great industry to be in, but you have to be what my partner calls, "a special breed of crazy" to do it hahaha.

3. ChevyHD

ChevyHD Rockstar 100 Posts

I have helped work on our farm ever since I could walk. Obviously I did more and more as I got older. Two years ago I picked up a job with a construction/dirt crew during the slow months of farming. This year I'm at college and am a Lab analyst for Monsanto and I go back home on weekends to farm still. My major is Ag studies with a minor in Precision Ag (Farming with GPS). Absolutely love it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  4. halfpint33

halfpint33 New Member

I print business forms for now.Started there 20 yrs ago at the age of 23.At our high point we had over 400 employees.Down to 130 now.Alot of weeks I dont even get in 40 hours but the pay is good and I have no college education to fall back on.I'll stay there until they close the doors.And like Chevy HD I too help on the family farm.

5. 747

747 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I got a BA in Communication and an MA in Human Behavior. After college I did an internship with a small graphic design company, I had some interest in that field. But I found it wasnt the right place for me. It can be an exciting and energetic environment for the right person though. I am now trying to get in the military, preferably as an officer. Id probably get out after a few years and get into law enforcement.

6. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm an elevator service technician with Otis Elevator Co. For the last 25 years. I started in the trade in 1987 in Rochester,NY and transferred to Myrtle Beach, SC in 1994. Worked for a Heating,Plumbing & Electrical contractor from 85-87. Served in US Army from 83-85

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  7. GMCErica

GMCErica Rockstar 3 Years GMTC Chick 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I am a Law Enforcement Officer in British Columbia, Canada. It is an exciting career, but can be dangerous sometimes.. Adrenaline rush! Been an Officer in different sectors of the law enforcement community from a criminal investigator, to a park warden to special constable dealing with drugs now to Officer for 10 years now. Been a decade of stories, experiences, and excitement. I will continue to pursue my career in this field until I feel the need to leave. But for right now, I am lovin' every moment, and I get to wear a cool uniform too.

8. chew246214

chew246214 Rockstar 100 Posts

Police and EMS...... also in school for nursing right now... 2 careers aren't enough....

9. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've been down to Waterford 3 a couple of times. Had a couple of interviews across the street at Dow. Now I'm an Operator at Marathon down in Garyville.
    ---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 AM ----------

10. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Currently spend approximately 40 hours a week volunteering at the local food bank. It keeps me busy until my next employer comes along and decides he wants someone who will grow his business. Had some interviews over the past couple of years but the majority say I have too much experience. Cop out? Yup it is but they can't say you are too old. That would violate age discrimination laws.