What kills the fuel pump?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bazar01, Apr 29, 2012.

1. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Can you predict the service life?

I still have the original fuel pump. I don't go down below 1/8 tank for fear of starving the fuel pump. Should i just go ahead and get a new fuel pump and get it replaced for preventive?

2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Those pumps can tend to go out around about your mileage. I went through 3 in 3 weeks around 200k. If you do replace it, I'd go with something other than a GM brand pump and get the upgraded socket for it as those tend to crap out too.

3. bazar01

That's what I'm afraid of. With 151k miles, don't know when it will go out. I usually drive long distances on weekends.

Which fuel pump has the upgraded socket? What is wrong with the factory socket? Care to share why you went through 3 pumps in 3 weeks?
    Thanks.

4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

The upgraded socket is the male part that plugs into the pump. I forgot who makes it and where you can find it so I'll have to ask my brother on that one. When I put the last pump in thats when I changed the male socket to a much better one. As for going through 3 pumps in 3 weeks, the original went out on I-10, its replacement went out at Raising Cane's, and the replacement for that went out in the driveway. Had about 1/2 tank each time when they went out. Still going strong

5. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The leading cause of fuel pump failure is running the fuel below 1/4 tank of gas. A fuel pump isn't something I would suggest replacing until it is necessary. It may run another 40,000 miles.

6. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

The only reason to replace it now, is if you are worried about getting stuck somewhere. If you don't mind that part, you mind as well let it break before you replace it.

7. bazar01

That was not fun, esp, with 1/2 tank full each time. I am afraid it might happen on a full tank.
    I'll just get a new Delco fuel pump and put it in the back storage just in case.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

That's what i figure. The fuel basically keeps the pump cool. If I keep the tank at or above 1/4 full, it may prolong it's service life. Besides, I already replaced the external fuel filter and that may help as well.

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

I will just buy a new fuel pump and put it in the rear storage as back up.

8. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Agreed. A brand new one could go out tomorrow, and with the quality of parts out there today, I wouldn't change it until it needed to be changed. the major cause of fuel pump failure is people running their tanks to fumes before refilling.

Here's why that is bad...

Fuel pumps on fuel injected vehicles are generally found in the fuel tank. the liquid gasoline is responsible for cooling the pump, and to keep it from overheating. Once the fuel drops below 1/8 to 1/4 tank, there is no longer sufficient liquid left in the tank to cool the unit. As a result, the pump gets hot and the plastic impellers inside start to melt and warp. They are designed to be cooled by the fuel.

I had a Suburban with over 320,000 miles on it and never put a pump on it. My '03 had almost 200,000 on it and never needed one. As long as you don't make a habit of running the tank dry, they will last a LONG time.

9. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

I did some research on the different available brands. I went with a Bosch unit. A little more money, but the price on Amazon is competitive with the AC Delco part locallly. Locally the Bosch fuel pump cost twice as much.

So far it has been very quiet.

10. bazar01

I wil probably go with the Bosch too.

I used to have a Porsche 944 S2 with 240k miles on the original fuel pump when I sold it. The new owner is still driving the car now with over 250k miles.

Is this the one? Bosch fuel pump.jpg