Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What kind of amp??

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Kickerking817, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Kickerking817

Kickerking817 Rockstar

I have 3 kicker L5's DVC 4ohm and I want to get a amp or a couple of amps that will push the subs. Any suggestions?
  2. Kaiser-Wave

Kaiser-Wave Rockstar

it really depends on how much you want to spend because if you are running 3 subs that are dual 4 ohm voice coil then the best possbile impedence you can run them at is 2 ohms so you need to find a big powerful amplifier that can run alot of watts at 2 ohms, the kicker zx2500.1 at our shop we built a guy a large enclosure running 4 L5's and that amp performed flawlessly. It is expensive but will be your best bet, the only reason i wouldnt recommend running multiple smps is because it would be hard to get all tuned exactly the same unless you use an ocilliscope to properly look for voltage and clipping to tune them exact. Besides running multiple ampe will draw even more voltage and strain your system thats y i would run one big amp. Thats what i did i have one amp powering all ten 12's in my truck.
  3. Kickerking817

Kickerking817 Rockstar

What kind and how many watts is your amp?
  4. Kaiser-Wave

Kaiser-Wave Rockstar

Its a US Amps Merlin MD1D but its the old one you cant find one anymore even online, because the new ones aren't as strong. Thats why i would try to use the kicker zx2500.1 especially at 2 ohms because thats what most kicker amps are strong at.....
  5. leadpan101

leadpan101 Rockstar

hifonics makes a few amps, the brutus series should do it, i have a friend that runs 4 l5's with one, does great, the Hifonice 1606d put out 1100rms at 2ohm and is only 240.00 www.ikesound.com
  6. Kaiser-Wave

Kaiser-Wave Rockstar

I think dollar for dollar the hifonics is affordable but watt for watt the kicker is better and the power supply and circuitry is stronger.........
  7. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

you never go by watts, just to let everyone know

RMS is what your looking for. watts doesnt mean much.

i have 2 interfire and theyre really good.

theres also cheaper brands like performance tekniques something like that.
  8. Kaiser-Wave

Kaiser-Wave Rockstar

For the budget amps Performance Tekinique's are not bad i just remember running those back in the day and they always overheated i had kinda the same issue with hifonics but they work well....
  9. Kaiser-Wave

Kaiser-Wave Rockstar

How are the interfire's i've seen them around but never used them or heard anything about them?