1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What kind of must have do you carry in your rig?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by EdPDX, Jan 17, 2008.

1. EdPDX

EdPDX Rockstar

After driving around in a C20 Chevy pickup since 1974, I have learned which tools I absolutely have to carry on any given outing. One year I shocked the hell out of my hunting buddy when, after running the radio while setting up camp, I decided it was time to run the truck before the battery went dead. Too late. He dropped his jaw at the prospect of having to walk out of the sticks. I simply slid a new battery I stowed just in case- just when I thought his jaw could not drop any lower...:glasses:

I like to carry: spare fuses, flashlights, flares/reflectors, hi-lift jack, 4-way lug wrench, h2o, oil, ATC fluid, fuel filter, knife, select tools, a spare, belt type emergency kit (space blanket compass, firestarter, paracord, fishing gear, bandaid, guaze, suture kit, pain meds), rope. More if I am really going into the sticks.

Whadda you take?

Ed
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I thought by having a newer truck, I was less likely to need tools and such but my over-prepared, packrat side get's the better of me. Right now I have a set of tire chains, 30,000lb rated tow strap, jumper cables, bungee cargo net, flashlights, Gearwrench set, magnetic screwdriver, Snap-on bit set, Leathermans plier tool, other misc handtools, gloves, shovel, Hi-lift jack, first-aid kit, handy-wipes, and the tool that get's used the most- a Swiffer duster for dusting the dash!
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  3. Skarch

Skarch Rockstar 100 Posts

I don't carry any tools in mine yet, but mines just a part-time grocery getter right now.

I have a follow up question for you guys, in the engine bay of the burb, there is a storage box where the second battery would go on the diesels. What do you guys put in there?
  4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Mine is a diesel so the spot has a battery in it. That would make a handy storage area though. I will have to look at my Wife's 2001 Burban to see if the aux. battery spot is there.
  5. pasch69

pasch69 New Member

I usually have an old poncho liner from the military , coveralls , gloves, cap, flashlight, extra pack of smokes, a small kit made up of ,ductape, basic tools. knife and matches.
  6. TahoeFever

TahoeFever Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I usually take my 200 piece mechanics set it fits nicely under the seat, hi end jack , duct tape for the kids , i do a full check over before i leave on a major trip -belts wires anything that looks worn is replaced. gloves extra oil , tranny fluid , air compressor for the tires, tire repair kit . xtra head light bulbs, tail light bulbs and a couple blankets and extra munchies and water , ball pean hammer and two big crow bars to yank off the deer thats stuck in your grill.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  7. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

sounds like you are would deff. be well prepared for ANYTHING
  8. TahoeFever

TahoeFever Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

yup :)

something i always found in the past things that your not prepared for always happen.
  9. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have a huge come along that was originally used to pull out tractors in there which had come in handy several times offroad. A Snatch-em strap for pulling people out of ditches, tool kit with wrenches and sockets and stuff, various fluids and coolants, extra coats/sweatshirts, and some fireworks.
  10. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

once i get my license and have my truck on the road i will probably have enough to extinguish a minor blaze and handle car accidents and the basic tools and stuff to fix typical problems