What kind of must have do you carry in your rig?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by EdPDX, Jan 17, 2008.

1. EdPDX

EdPDX Rockstar

After driving around in a C20 Chevy pickup since 1974, I have learned which tools I absolutely have to carry on any given outing. One year I shocked the hell out of my hunting buddy when, after running the radio while setting up camp, I decided it was time to run the truck before the battery went dead. Too late. He dropped his jaw at the prospect of having to walk out of the sticks. I simply slid a new battery I stowed just in case- just when I thought his jaw could not drop any lower...:glasses:

I like to carry: spare fuses, flashlights, flares/reflectors, hi-lift jack, 4-way lug wrench, h2o, oil, ATC fluid, fuel filter, knife, select tools, a spare, belt type emergency kit (space blanket compass, firestarter, paracord, fishing gear, bandaid, guaze, suture kit, pain meds), rope. More if I am really going into the sticks.

Whadda you take?

Ed

2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I thought by having a newer truck, I was less likely to need tools and such but my over-prepared, packrat side get's the better of me. Right now I have a set of tire chains, 30,000lb rated tow strap, jumper cables, bungee cargo net, flashlights, Gearwrench set, magnetic screwdriver, Snap-on bit set, Leathermans plier tool, other misc handtools, gloves, shovel, Hi-lift jack, first-aid kit, handy-wipes, and the tool that get's used the most- a Swiffer duster for dusting the dash!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  3. Skarch

Skarch Rockstar 100 Posts

I don't carry any tools in mine yet, but mines just a part-time grocery getter right now.

I have a follow up question for you guys, in the engine bay of the burb, there is a storage box where the second battery would go on the diesels. What do you guys put in there?

4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Mine is a diesel so the spot has a battery in it. That would make a handy storage area though. I will have to look at my Wife's 2001 Burban to see if the aux. battery spot is there.

5. pasch69

pasch69 New Member

I usually have an old poncho liner from the military , coveralls , gloves, cap, flashlight, extra pack of smokes, a small kit made up of ,ductape, basic tools. knife and matches.

6. TahoeFever

TahoeFever Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I usually take my 200 piece mechanics set it fits nicely under the seat, hi end jack , duct tape for the kids , i do a full check over before i leave on a major trip -belts wires anything that looks worn is replaced. gloves extra oil , tranny fluid , air compressor for the tires, tire repair kit . xtra head light bulbs, tail light bulbs and a couple blankets and extra munchies and water , ball pean hammer and two big crow bars to yank off the deer thats stuck in your grill.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  7. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

sounds like you are would deff. be well prepared for ANYTHING

8. TahoeFever

TahoeFever Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

yup :)

something i always found in the past things that your not prepared for always happen.

9. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have a huge come along that was originally used to pull out tractors in there which had come in handy several times offroad. A Snatch-em strap for pulling people out of ditches, tool kit with wrenches and sockets and stuff, various fluids and coolants, extra coats/sweatshirts, and some fireworks.

10. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

once i get my license and have my truck on the road i will probably have enough to extinguish a minor blaze and handle car accidents and the basic tools and stuff to fix typical problems