1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what kind of oil?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by wallstetter, Oct 20, 2008.

1. wallstetter

wallstetter New Member ROTM Winner

wondering what kind of oil everyone runs right now im running amsoil synthetic but its exspensive and kind of hard to get your hands on it around here
  2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts

i switched to synthetic last week I put in Royal Purple $ w a kn oil filter

but prior to that It only got Penzoil :)

got them both from my local Orilley Auto Parts
  3. scooby2b2

scooby2b2 New Member

Synthetic oil

I use the Mobile One Extended which says its good for 15k or one year but change every 5k to 7k miles.
  4. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

I'm also running Royal Purple, but Mobil 1 is very good and a little less expensive.
  5. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts

I started using Royal Purple, then decided to switch to Mobil 1 to save a little coin. I've been happy with both.
  6. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

After reading the great posts here I'll be doing Mobil 1 and changing every 7500 - 10,000 miles depending on whether I've done any towing or heavy work.
  7. zach45

zach45 New Member

every 5 k..
    castrol syn.
  8. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts

I just did my oil change and used Quaker state full sythetic horsepower & torque formula. So far I like It I have always used Mobil 1 in my vehicles but figured I would try this one in my avalanche. It runs around the same price as Mobil 1.
  9. SilveradoBrett

SilveradoBrett New Member

I run mobil in everything I own except the yamahas that I guess are supposed to have the "special" $20 a quart of racing oil. But it only takes a quart so I don't complain about that. So I used to run penzoil all the time, swore by the stuff. But when it came time to rebuilt the ford motor there was so much gunk on the valves that it was just plain gross. I thought it was normal and then a few months later I helped a buddy rebuild an old 351W that had been using mobil forever. After comparing the gunk build up on the two valves I made the switch to mobil. I even use the lubricant for my guns, the stuff is great and not too expensive. However every once in a while castrol full synthetic is on sale at vatozone (not autozone where I live) so I get that. Both are great, but for the most bang for your buck I have found that mobil extended is the best deal. Also you can buy it at walmart while you are buying your clothes! Pretty sweet!
  10. chevyman5.3L

chevyman5.3L New Member

oil

I have been running castrol syn and change every 5000miles for 6 years in my truck and its good stuff. I run my truck pretty hard. I run pennzoil (not syn) in my 08 malibu and thats pretty good stuff.