what kind of oil?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by wallstetter, Oct 20, 2008.

1. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

2. garagegoon

garagegoon Member

I used to use Penzzoil... But now am using Castrol GTX.... No prblems on either but I have many friends with Chevys that have a quarter million miles and only ran Castrol. Seems like that is proof enough.

3. garagegoon

garagegoon Member

4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Castrol High Mileage in both trucks and for the car whatever Saturn puts in. I can't quite remember whether the high mileage is synthetic or not. Pretty much positive it's not full syn, but it might be a syn blend. Either way, both trucks leak a tad, but not enough for me to cry over.

5. nightscape

nightscape New Member

Mobil 1 for the last ten years. I will also use Amsoil, but rarely able to get it on sale if ever. I also use Mobil 1 oil filters, but they are hard to get in this country. K&N acceptable and easier to find. Although, I saw a tear down of a dozen or so oil filters and Amsoil was by far the best built with the best materials. They are also the most expensive ($18.50) in Canada. I used Amsoil filters during 2 oil changes and developed a ticking in the engine which I never had in 10 years with Mobil 1. Could have just been a coincidence, but I think the oil flow may be more restricted with Amsoil? I think I will stick to Mobil 1.

6. Sam_A

Sam_A Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks for the post. Great information. My dad has been using Amsoil, and I will be switching on the next oil change. Prior to this I have used both Castro Syntec and Mobil 1 Syntec and was very happy with both.

7. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I think its funny when companies use their own information and test to prove their product is the best. Alot of oil companies try to find outside tests and results to back up their product, but I've only ever saw Amsoil use their own tests to show they're the best.

8. napadave

napadave New Member

I use Mobil 1 in my truck and cars. 2 cycle toys get Amsoil.

9. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

AMSOIL's published testing is done by 3rd party laboratories. I do not know what makes you think it's not. If the test results were not true and accurate I think Amsoil would be in the court room.

There is a story behind Amsoil's trademark "First in Synthetics". When Al Amatuzio applied to have this statement trademarked he not only had to prove that Amsoil was the first synthetic oil historically but trademark officials also said Amsoil was insinuating that they were the best (#1) in a performance and quality standpoint, and had to prove it. So Amsoil presented the officials with the comparison documentation and test results they asked for backing up the claim that Amsoil was the best. The trademark officials accepted the documents to allow Amsoil to use "First" in their trademark. The procedure now required the trademark officials had to notify all the other oil companies in writing. They had 90 days to object, comment or respond to this notice. The 90 days elapsed and there was no word from any of these companies not even Mobil 1. If any of these companies thought they had a better product they would of responded.

10. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

If you can provide me with third party data ill be more than willing to read it