What kind of oil?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Curky, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I’m sure this question has been asked and asked again. For you guys that know me, you know I’m pretty new to trucks. In all my cars I have used different oil depending on what I was driving and if I was leasing or not. I have 08 WT, V6. It is an everyday driver minimum 40miles a day.:gasp: I am at 38,000 miles. With all that said:
    What oil should I use? (Brand and synthetic or what)

2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Can't go wrong with a good synthetic such as Mobil 1 or Castroil. As for weight, check your owners manual as it should be in there. If not, I always put 10W-30 in my V6 but it was from a totally different decade :lol:

1 person likes this.
  3. BASSIST

BASSIST Rockstar 100 Posts

I use Valvoline 5w30

1 person likes this.
  4. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If I had unlimited moneys I'd always run royal purple but every other oil change I take it in to get a full service and everything checked out and they use penzoil synthetic so thats what I've been using!

1 person likes this.
  5. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I used penzoil platinum, royal purple, valvoline synpower, and mobile 1 full synthetic. I like mobile 1 for the price (good quality) but the best performance and mileage I had was with royal purple.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Tha nk You everyone. I love it here... you can get anything answered

7. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I use Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 5W-30 in about everything i have

8. Lerch98

Lerch98 New Member

Valvoline 5W30 (conventional oil) premium every 3000 with a Delco oil filter. Motors last for ever.

In fact I use all Valvoline lubrication products. They have worked for me and Valvoline is one of two things that my dad and I agree on.

Most premium oils are just fine. Make sure that you use the correct weight (5w-30) as prescribed.
    Stay away from pennzoil conventional unless you want a motor that is all gummed up
    It is recommended to stay with the same brand of oil. Each manufacturer has a difference in additives (detergents and viscosity modifiers). Pick a brand and stick with it.
    I have not been a fan of synthetics. They are great and expensive. If you are running the engine in an extreme duty (racing, extreme heat, excessive load) then a synthetic is warranted, other wise you're spending extra cash.

1 person likes this.
  9. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

id never go back to conventional oil again...JUNK IMO:no:

10. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

In order of preference... Royal Purple and Valvoline. :)

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

In order of preference... Royal Purple and Valvoline... :)