1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

What kind of oil?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Curky, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I’m sure this question has been asked and asked again. For you guys that know me, you know I’m pretty new to trucks. In all my cars I have used different oil depending on what I was driving and if I was leasing or not. I have 08 WT, V6. It is an everyday driver minimum 40miles a day.:gasp: I am at 38,000 miles. With all that said:
    What oil should I use? (Brand and synthetic or what)

2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Can't go wrong with a good synthetic such as Mobil 1 or Castroil. As for weight, check your owners manual as it should be in there. If not, I always put 10W-30 in my V6 but it was from a totally different decade :lol:

1 person likes this.
  3. BASSIST

BASSIST Rockstar 100 Posts

I use Valvoline 5w30

1 person likes this.
  4. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If I had unlimited moneys I'd always run royal purple but every other oil change I take it in to get a full service and everything checked out and they use penzoil synthetic so thats what I've been using!

1 person likes this.
  5. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I used penzoil platinum, royal purple, valvoline synpower, and mobile 1 full synthetic. I like mobile 1 for the price (good quality) but the best performance and mileage I had was with royal purple.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Tha nk You everyone. I love it here... you can get anything answered

7. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I use Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 5W-30 in about everything i have

8. Lerch98

Lerch98 New Member

Valvoline 5W30 (conventional oil) premium every 3000 with a Delco oil filter. Motors last for ever.

In fact I use all Valvoline lubrication products. They have worked for me and Valvoline is one of two things that my dad and I agree on.

Most premium oils are just fine. Make sure that you use the correct weight (5w-30) as prescribed.
    Stay away from pennzoil conventional unless you want a motor that is all gummed up
    It is recommended to stay with the same brand of oil. Each manufacturer has a difference in additives (detergents and viscosity modifiers). Pick a brand and stick with it.
    I have not been a fan of synthetics. They are great and expensive. If you are running the engine in an extreme duty (racing, extreme heat, excessive load) then a synthetic is warranted, other wise you're spending extra cash.

1 person likes this.
  9. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

id never go back to conventional oil again...JUNK IMO:no:

10. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

In order of preference... Royal Purple and Valvoline. :)

---------- Post added at 08:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

In order of preference... Royal Purple and Valvoline... :)