1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What Maintenance Manual?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Fine Burban, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Fine Burban

Fine Burban New Member

I have an '89 GMC 1500 4x4 and I am wondering if my best bet is the generic Chiltons Manual or is there a better one or a "Bible" that you would recommend? -Thanks-
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Chiltons tends to have info missing many times. You should get complete wiring diagrams and torque specs for many things in the Chiltons. I have one for my truck and it has the info I need most of the time. When I can't find what I need I just search the web. The best manual or "Bible" that you can get would be the one from GM. I have the driveability and diagnostic manual (covers anything that you would fix on the truck other than a trans rebuild) , and the electric manual from GM for my 1995 silverado. They are about 3" thick each. They are about as complete as you can get. That being said, they are usually a few hundred dollars each. In most cases the chiltons will do just fine.
  3. Fine Burban

Fine Burban New Member

I like the idea of the shop manuals... I would imagine I have to goto GM to get one? Thanks for the heads-up on that.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

you might find one on ebay

not that cheap, but here is one
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400429358513?lpid=82
  5. USAF-Suburban

USAF-Suburban New Member

I am a fan of Haynes but like Pikey stated about the Chiltons, Haynes tends to have the same fault from time to time. But, for shadetree mechanics who need an easy to follow manual for the majority of work that you'll be doing and LOTS of pictures, Haynes is hard to beat for the price...
  6. Fine Burban

Fine Burban New Member

Thanks USAF. I will look into Haynes for the time being until I can find the Shop manuals.
  7. USAF-Suburban

USAF-Suburban New Member

Anytime. I think you should be able to find them at Autozone...