1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What mods can i do and still pass smog?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Z71xWytout, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Z71xWytout

Z71xWytout New Member

I have a 94 K1500 with 5.7l TBI. I want to make this thing fast. i mean not NHRA fast but give those honda's a run for their money, but still pass smog. How can i do this? Is there anything because i hate that honda's have a bunch of opinions and pass smog. Thats BS.

Anyways, thanks.
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Do you have any Performance Mods on your Ride Now??.......Also it depends on what you are looking and/or wanting to spend on Performance mods......So I'll mentioned look at doing the following,

You could do a Tune....Long Tube Headers....Cat Back Exhaust....and On the Exhaust,as long as you keep the Cats and the 02 Sensor's on and then doing a Tune.....either Hand-held or Custom Tune.....Your Truck Should still be Smog Legal after doing these Mods,

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  3. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

A blower should keep you in good to go as well since there are a few smog legal kits out there... and keeping a good set of cats in the truck will help with that.
  4. Z71xWytout

Z71xWytout New Member

Well i have a hypertech performance chip and 3 inch cat back exhaust but its not any better. I think the tbi computers you cant do a lot of tuning to. Plus i have the two studed throttle body and whatever cold air intake i see its always one bolt down. I dont have headers yet but i am getting there. And for the blower, i wish man. But i think for how much those cost i might as well sell my truck and buy a vortec, which i do want, but my girlfriend doesnt want me to get rid of the truck, so i will just do work on it, until i get a newer truck. :) I just wanna go fast.
  5. chevy_truck_driver

chevy_truck_driver New Member

What are your performance gains in hp and in torque by putting on long tube headers and cat back exhaust
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The cold intake systems come with a longer stud. You remove the two studs off of your TBI and put the new one in the center. My 95' had the same 2 stud stock air cleaner. I put an air raid on and the kit converted it to one stud.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Since you live in Ca. the most important thing to remember when looking at any performance parts is that they are "CARB" certified (California Air Resources Board).
    This does not mean any certified part put on your engine will keep it clean enough to pass smog, but they are legal in Ca. to run.
    As far as parts that allow the engine to run clean theres a lot of variables to that, what allows one engine to run clean enough to pass may not work that way on another, a lot of that is going to be trial and error, your starting with an engine that has mileage on it so the results will differ from a new or rebuilt engine with 0 miles. Also certain combinations of parts will cause certain readings to peak and fail. It's not as easy as throwing parts at the engine and saying this'll make it run fast and clean.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011