1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

What mods do you regret doing?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by motonerd, Dec 5, 2011.

1. motonerd

motonerd New Member

Saw this on a Jeep Cherokee site.
    What mod do you regret?:grrrrrr:

2. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I don't regret any of the mods I've done to my truck. I DO regret not having a professional install my headlights, as they were a pain in my backside to install, wire, and adjust properly!

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I first put a 6" superlift kit on my 95 silverado. It was total crap. If the tires wore beyond 50% the front end would hop all over the place. I was actually pulled over one time and the cop asked, "what the hell is wrong with your truck, I have never seen a vehicle hop all over the place like that?" I took that kit off and put the BDS kit on. World of difference and never had another issue. I wasted a crap load of money putting the superlift crap on my truck.

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If I had to do tires/wheels/brakes again I'd do 18x9's for the wheels instead of 17x8's. What drives this is that big brake kits need at least 18" wheels and I wanted to install one ... and learned I couldn't due to my wheel size. Aside from that I like my wheel size just the way it is ... but not being able to squeeze bigger rotors and some 6-piston calipers under there bummed me out a bit.

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

On my '05 Silverado I wish I had gone with long tube headers and not shorites. On my '96 'Burb I put a ProComp 6" lift on when the 'Burb was new and hated it. Replaced a year later with a Rancho that is still on the 'Burb.

6. ShadowRejects

ShadowRejects Rockstar 100 Posts

Its not the mods i regret doing, its the parts i break while doing them:gasp: hahaha jk.
    But I dont really remember regreting any. I do recall some though, Im pretty sure some of yall watch Xtreme-4x4. Well i seen them buff off the haze on their headlights with toothpaste and a buffing wheel. I was like IMA DO THAT!! i went out side, did it, i was impressed, i did it again maybe 5 months later (aka a week ago) and i held one part of the headlight case on the buffing wheel too long and it scarred part of the headlight and melted a part of it. Me being me, i tried buffing it out more,making it worse. So i just used a damp cloth and rubbed it out. took me an hour but its still kinda there. haha

7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The only mod I regret doing was the only thing I never did myself, I took my s10 to a "professional" installer when it was 6 months old and had a Viper pager system alarm bloah blah blah. $599.00 later and all I had were major problems, dead battery all the time, several in cab fires result of shoddy wire "taps". I eventually just cut all the alarm wires I could see and just dealt with the loss, honestly I would rather have my truck stolen and stripped before I would ever have another alarm or anything like that installed.

I could install one myself today no problem, BUT I still don't like how much hacking you do to the BCM wiring...

8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have heard a bunch of remote start/alarm horror stories in the last week. I just had one installed on my 03 yukon! luckily the guy that did it has been doing it for more than 20 years. You can't even tell he was there. He did my 02 silverado 6 years ago and I never had an issue. When I worked in the garage we would have people's cars towed in all the time with alarm issues that would not allow the car to start. We did the same thing, just cut them out. Most of them had the system installed by some hack at a big box store.

9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I had issues with my viper alarm on my Grand Cherokee. I had it installed at Circuit City. I was leaving Ocean City going back to PA and the truck wouldn't start. Waited a few minutes tried again and it started. Get on the road try to put the windows down and they wouldn't move. Tried to turn the A/C on. Nothing. Luckily the sunroof worked. But I did look like a fool trying to pay the toll by opening the door. I got home took the jeep back and told them to pull the alarm out. They were baffled at why I would want to do such a thing. Once it was pulled out I never had another issue.

10. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I agree remote starters/alarms can cause problems when they are poorly installed, which is why I like to do it myself. The one on my last truck had a minor (irritating but not inconvenient) computer incompatibility, and that was in the bypass module rather than the starter itself. On my Avalanche, the remote starter causes no issues and works perfectly so long as I never try to remove it, as I learned when I accidentally cut one of its wires.

With the interface modules available for GM vehicles now though (which can use a pre-made 4 wire harness to connect to certain remote starters) you connect power, ground, starter, and one data wire and you're in business. I might be missing 1 or 2 wires here, but the right system can basically be a 5 wire install since its all through the computer - and the modules that work through the computer (like mine) can turn your heated seats, rear defrost, etc. on for you too. If you do it yourself carefully, its tough to not get good results from them. That's just my view on it though.

Anyway, back to this thread. I don't regret anything I've done to the Avalanche... on the other hand I haven't done much to it yet.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011