1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What mods for performance

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by jnl2000, Nov 22, 2007.

1. jnl2000

jnl2000 New Member

I have the GMC Sierra 5.3 Z71 4X4 extra cab standard bed and would like to know what good performance mods to do? I have the truck as it came new no mods. What are the best basic things to increase performance?
  2. PepboysASETech

PepboysASETech Rockstar

Almost same motor as mine. I have plans in mind that include but arnt limited to... Intake, throttle body and spacer, pulleys, MSD coils and wires, headers, Gibson exhaust, after any mods its a good idea to have it tuned at a shop with a chip and or custom air, fuel, and timing programing. Those are some cheaper less difficult things you can do. I dont want to stop there though. Eventually i want a Whipple s/c kit, or even a twin turbo set up. Ive always been a fan of making small blocks to just as much if not more than an expencive big block or even a larger ci small block. My dad once told me. "You know what son? One of these days your ganna realize that your alligator eyes are to much for your sparrow butt hole." Meaning that ill never be able to afford what i want, lol. Ha i hope to prove him wrong, lol.
  3. SlimyAvocado

SlimyAvocado New Member

SLP makes a 350HP kit for the 5.3...Exhaust, intake, roller rockers, diablo programmer with SLP tuning...and fender badges to let everyone know what you've got under the hood.
    I'm probably going to go that route...minus the cat back because i don't like the dual rear exit systems...I just don't like the way it looks on my truck.
  4. TahoeFever

TahoeFever Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

duel rear as in straight out the back or to the sides ?
  5. SlimyAvocado

SlimyAvocado New Member

The SLP exits straight out the back..the one in the pic does atleast...I know thats the classic way of doing it, but on a pick-up, in my opinion, you see too much pipe..Even on my 71 RS, I ditched the straight out the back pipes for duals, out infront of the rear tire exhaust. My Saleen goes straight out the back but you can only see the last 2 inches of the tip sticking out.
    I guess i feel its something that should be heard and not seen.
    As for what I'm going to put on my truck, I want to do the dual pipe, single side exit infront of the rear tire...MAC makes a nice system. I really like the sound of the flowpath mufflers..
    When it comes to modifying my cars and trucks, I like to do things all at once..I'd rather wait and save and get everything i want and install it all at once so you really feel a difference. You can add a CAI and say you feel a difference, but it not really changing much...couple that with a cat-back and a tuner, and you've got a power gain you can feel in the seat of your pants.
  6. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If your lookin to go faster from the start check into some 3.73 or 4.10 gears. In my opinion best bang for the buck performance.