1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what motor should i swap in

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by john350, Dec 19, 2011.

1. john350

john350 New Member

I have a 02 silverado it had 212000 miles so I'm thinking about doing a swap I want something with a lot more power or should I just build the motor that it has in it now let me know what you guys think and what motors I should look at swapping into it
  2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts

What motor does the truck currently have?
  3. john350

john350 New Member

It's the vortex 5.3l v8
  4. kburb

kburb New Member ROTM Winner

you could aways jump up to the 6.0L or rebuild and stroke your 5.3.
  5. TELORVEHC

^this or you can swap in the awesome 8.1l L18 motor.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  6. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm pretty sure GM has some very good prices on their Bowtie crate motors. I will say the LS1 is a great durable motor!!
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  7. john350

john350 New Member

How hard would it be to swap the L18 in and what about the ls7
  8. TELORVEHC

Well I know the L18 is a big block motor based off of the 454, it was an option on the 2500hd and 3500hd trucks so it should fit without too much trouble. But you'll probably need a new ECU and a bunch of other stuff that's involved in a motor swap. LS7 is a small block I think so it might fit easier but again, probably gonna need a new ECU and such.
  9. john350

john350 New Member

What about the 6.0 from the ss how much power dose it have and how hard would it be I need one that dosent take to long to swap in because this truck is my daily
  10. 2k8z71

2k8z71 New Member