What MPG to expect from a late model small block

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Wet Willie, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Wet Willie

Wet Willie New Member

I'm a newbie to the board. I joined to get some help in deciding which yr and motor to look for for my next Silverado. I've put 200k on my '92 that has a 4.3 and a 5 speed. Its been a great truck but its time to get something newer and more powerful. The ol 4.3 just doesn't cut it when pulling a boat. On the "plus side" it has consistently gotten 20 MPG. So here's my question: what motor will give me 20+mpg on avg? I like the 4th generation body style and have HEARD that the '96 and newer small blocks will give me the mpg and power I'm looking for. Whatever yr and motor I get will have 2WD but I'm open to either and auto or stick. I'd REALLY like to hear your advice and comments on this subject.
    Thanks in advance for all your responses.

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

From my experience, my '96 had the 350R w/true dual Flow Masters, Hypertech tuner, KnN filter and I avg'd 17.5 to 18 mpg. On the next one, '99 3/4 w/350, I avg'd closer to 16 mpg not towing. My '04 5.3L Silverado C/C avg's 17 to 17.5 mpg. Saying that, I'm 62 years old and my "lead foot" days are in my past. From what I've seen on here, the NBS Chevies are getting better mileage and can tow more. Good luck!