1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

What music format will play on stock head unit

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by aloxdaddy99, Aug 1, 2012.

1. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I recently purchased a 750GB USB hard drive to install in my truck to hold my music. I went and copied a bunch of my CD's than tried it today and of course no luck. The display read something about it doesn't support that format. I used Window's Media Player to rip the music to the drive. I than tried to rip another CD to the drive by changinf the format to mp3 on the rip settings. Tried and still doesn't work. Anybody have any idea's?

2. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

If you look in the manual for your truck, there should be a description of what formats are supported, but I think MP3 and WMA are supported formats. Is the problem that it's not seeing the drive at all, or that it's seeing it, but with no music?

3. aloxdaddy99

I am not entirely sure which is the issue. The first 20 or so CD's I loaded onto the drive were in WMA. Than I tried to load one CD in MP3. Had no luck with either. Could it be the drive is to large for the head unit? If so do you or anybody know what the largest drive I can use?

4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

My New truck has the usb port with the stock radio and it is limited on size of the usb drive. I want to say 8gb was all it would support. It also said it would go I think 8 folders deep. such as Genre, Artist, Album, ect. Mine is only 2 folders deep Artist, Album But I will double check on what the GB limit is to the stock head unit. Im sure if you have the stock head unit 750 GB is way too big. Man that sure would be a lot of music. Ive got 33GB wich is about 12000 songs or so..

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I am not sure about the factory radio's, but I know the Kenwood I have reads both MP3 and WMA, I stick to MP3 with a good encoder that I had to purchase, but its not necessary to do that.

I know some people that pick up those portable hard drives and load their files on them and hide them in the trucks but I stay away from anything mechanical.

Hard drives can take a certain amount of abuse, but they have platters that are spinning and over time the best of them will get distroyed from all the vibrations from driving down the road.

I stick to USB flash drives, I currently have a 128GB flash drive and that stores about 1200 CD's worth of music encoded as mp3's @ 320kbps.

in order to listen to 128gb of music, I could travel from the east coast to the west coast of the United States and then back and only get half way though all that music, so do you really need a 750gb hard drive?

I could understand getting a drive that big if you were going to throw movies on it, but its not safe to watch movies while driving anyway.

6. aloxdaddy99

it is a 750Gb drive but I only have about 10GB on it now. I didn't want to load it up and it not work. Ya know like it is now. LOL. Does that matter? I am a total technotard so please forgive me if these seem like dumb questions.

7. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Max size is almost certainly larger than 8GB. 750GB should be fine still, really, but it could be an issue, depending on what the stock stereo programming supports for LBA modes. A 16GB drive does work in my Cruze though.

8. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Hi Alox,

No worries :) Back to your specific issue, it has to be something with the format of the MP3's or WMA files that you have, which is odd considering your truck is a 2011.

Do the GM Factory radio's take firmware updates?

9. aloxdaddy99

Nak thatis a question I don't know the answer too.

10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This could also be as simple as the drive coming pre-formated as NTFS and the head unit only understanding FAT32 and/or exFAT. In addition and as previously noted, the stock system may also only be able to handle partitions of a certain size and smaller ... and 750GB may exceed its threshold. Fortunately both can be tested using trial-and-error with the drive Alox already has.