Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

What music format will play on stock head unit

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by aloxdaddy99, Aug 1, 2012.

1. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Unless the stock system has really poor LBA support, it should support up to 2TB drives, though over that would almost certainly not work. 750GB should work, but as you suggest it is very likely formatted as NTFS instead of FAT, and I'm pretty sure the system only supports FAT drives (or maybe HFS+, haven't tried a Mac-format iPod on it).

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yup, I strongly suspect it's a format issue. That was my first instinct and I worked with [MENTION=40941]aloxdaddy99[/MENTION] last night to investigate it. He confirmed the drive was, indeed, formatted as NTFS. Unfortunately the quickformat option on Windows and Vista (which is what the systems he has access to are running) doesn't like drives as large as his 750gb, so he's going to have to do a verification and typical format /FS:FAT32 <drive num> command without the /Q flag.

As he didn't buzz me for help on it, this morning, I presume he was able to get the format going prior to going to bed. Hopefully it went well and he can drop a few files on it to test with.

3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

It is in the formatting process now. I will let ya know when it is done.

4. aloxdaddy99

So here is what I have done so far with the help of [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION]. I had to partition the drive. I used the FAT32 format and it now works. The major downer to me is that the largest partition size in that format is 32GB. So my 750GB hard drive has been greatly reduced. But it does work!!

5. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

You can actually create a FAT partition larger than 32GB, but I don't think it is possible (easy) in Windows. You can definitely do it in Linux though (I had to do this to back up my PS3 when installing a 750GB drive in it).

6. aloxdaddy99

I tried to do it with FAT. With my limited knowledge it didn't work. I tried with a partition size of 64GB.

7. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Thats good and bad news Alox.... good you know how to get it working, but bad that the factory radio is limited to 32gb per partition. Have you thought about a third party head unit..... my preference is Kenwood, but many of them read more than 32gb.

8. aloxdaddy99

Nak it's not the head unit that is limited (that I know of at this minute) to 32GB it is the only way I was able to get the drive formatted. I could only get it to format using FAT32 which has a size limit of 32GB.

9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

@aloxdaddy99: Reset the partition size to max drive size and then pull down a third party tool to format that partition using FAT32. The theoretical max size is far larger than 32GB and you're running into MS trying to force NTFS upon you.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  10. aloxdaddy99

Ok with the help of [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] I have answered a few of my questions this evening. The stock unit will play.wma and mp3's. I was able to find the limit of the stock unit which for me was 260GB. So I am going to take the 750gb back and get a smaller one. Sur also recommemded I get a solid state drive. Handles the vibrations better and produces less heat. Again thanks SurrealOne!