GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

What offset is safe for new wheels on 09 leveled silverado

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by kwalls22, Nov 27, 2012.

1. kwalls22

kwalls22 New Member

I have a 2" leveling kit on my silverado. I was wondering what a safe offset on the rim would be for me so the new tires dont rub. Im not to familiar with what the offset on a wheel is. I would really appreciate some help on this as I want to get new wheels and tires asap. The tire size I plan on getting is 285/65/R18 (33x11.5-18) if that helps. If anyone else has a leveled 1500 and has got new wheels and tires let me know ur whole setup and if u had any issues with them. From some of the research i have done I found that I may have to trim the plastic in my wheel well but I would like to avoid doing that if possible with tires i want to get. Also what is the correct bolt pattern for my truck I know its 6 lug and im pretty sure its by 5.5 but i just want to make sure before I make this investment

Thanks a lot
  2. 2k8z71

2k8z71 New Member

I run 285-65-18 on Fuel Boost rims with a 5.5 backspace with a 2" RC level. I have no issues with rubbing. I did when I had the factory mudflaps on the truck. I run Falken Wild Peak AT's. I don't know if running more aggressive tires would rub though.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

6-lug GM trucks run a 6x5.5 bolt pattern. Offset depends on which OEM wheel is being used ... and the model year truck that it's for. I believe the NNBS 17's are 17"x7.5" wheels with +31mm offset (5.5" backspacing), the 18's are 18"x8" wheels with +31mm offset(5.7" backspacing), and the 20's are 20"x8.5" wheels with = +31mm offset (5.9" backspacing). That's from memory and I don't own a NNBS truck, so I encourage you to double-check me, as I'm human and I do make mistakes from time to time.

Offset is just the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the mounting surface of the wheel. (Both negative and positive offset can result in rubbing.) Backspacing is just a different way of measuring the same sort of thing, but offset is generally easier to understand so stick with it. (Google if you truly want to know the difference between the two!)

Negative offset is when the mounting surface of the wheel is closer to the inside of the wheel than the outside of the wheel. It'll make your wheel stick out of the wheel well a tad if it's slightly negative offset ... since the mounting surface is further toward the inside of the wheel.

Positive offset is when the mounting surface of the wheel is closer to the outside of the wheel than the inside of the wheel. It'll pull your wheel into the wheel well a tad if its slightly positive offset ... since the mounting surface is further toward the outside of the wheel.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012