1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What oil are you using in your GM?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by jbird, Jun 24, 2010.

1. jbird

jbird New Member

I usually us Valvoline or Mobile Synthetic oils.

I am looking into Amsoil. For the new 2010 4.8 Silverado.

What are you using?

Sorry if they're is already a topic on this. I searched and found nothing.
  2. stephen115

stephen115 Member

I dont know if this helps you, but I have a 05 silverado z71 and im using Royal Purple for my 5.3l vortec.
  3. Farmerdave

Farmerdave Rockstar 100 Posts

Mobile 1 5w30 synthetic.
  4. bobby1964

bobby1964 New Member

valvolaine max life.
  5. grrr...

grrr... Rockstar 100 Posts

I use Mobil 1. I've ran it in everything from my 7 sec (1/8th) CRX Racecar to my wife's Lancer. Very good oil, never had any issues with changes in viscosity or pressure. If it is approved by Honda, it's obviously good, because they have one of the highest oil standards amongst car manufacturers.
  6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I use Castrol High Mileage 10w30 in my car and both trucks. Seems to work well and it's nice being standardized in oil weight amongst all the vehicles. I think they all call for 5w30, but with the heat down here, I figure 10w30 works just as well if not better.
  7. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 Rockstar 100 Posts

8. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

Times two!
  9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Bought my 98 Suburban 3 years ago-195,000 miles-and switched it right away to Mobil 1 5W30-recently I switched it to 10w30 because I figured the slightly higher weight might be better for a high mile vehicle. No problems with it-great hy mpg for a huge vehicle.
    I read somewhere that 10w30 starts with thicker base oil(probably longer chain molecules??) , and it needs fewer viscosity modifying molecules to pour like a 30 weight (at whatever temp it is measured at)- and will have relatively more pure "lubricating molecules." This sounded plausible , but that doesn't mean it is so.
    I live in New Orleans-hot climate-so the oil is never as thick as it is in colder climates.
  10. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I run 10w-30 Castrol GTX with Lucas Oil Stabilizer.