1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What oil do you use and do you do it yourself or take to quick lube or dealer.

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Coach24, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts

Just out of curiosity I wonder who uses synthetic , semi synthetic or just plain old oil.
    Do you let someone else change your oil?
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011
  2. darkness-lies-

darkness-lies- New Member

Full synthetic and i do it myself. no one can make sure its right like myself.
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

4. Patrick S

Patrick S New Member

Valvoline Full synthetic 10W-30 with a K&N oil filter. I change it myself because the last time I took it to a quick lube place, they changed the oil. A month later my oil filter blew off because it plugged. I don't trust other people to touch my truck. These places sometimes don't even change the oil or the filter and still charge you for it.
  5. Coach24

6. peanutbuttersports

peanutbuttersports New Member

castol edge (gold bottle) 5-20
  7. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

I use synthetic Castrol (5W30) in the Avalanche, and the Spitfire gets Royal Purple 20W50. My F350 I honestly don't know... I didn't put too many miles on it this summer and the oil was in decent shape so I haven't changed it yet. I have topped that one up with some normal Penzoil 5W30 though. I do all of my oil change/maintenance stuff myself.
  8. Coach24

Such varity so far pretty impressive.
    Royal purple is one heavy load on the wallet but I here only good about them.
    I used their products in gear cases.
  9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I use Mobil 1 synthetics in the engine, transmission,axles and grease. I use Wix filters for the engine and transmission. Besides Mobil 1 being a good oil, you can find it just about anywhere (Walmart,AutoZone etc..) so if your traveling and need fluids there easy to find.
  10. chris8408

chris8408 New Member

+1. i use royal purple