1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What oil do you use and do you do it yourself or take to quick lube or dealer.

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Coach24, Dec 20, 2011.

1. darkness-lies-

darkness-lies- New Member 100 Posts

i use pennzoil full synthetic
  2. ChevyHD

ChevyHD New Member 100 Posts

Mobil 1 Full synthetic with a Fram filter and I always change it myself.
  3. chris8408

chris8408 New Member

I think doing it yourself is the only way to go when it comes to oil changing. with all the scams out there, especially the one with jiffy lube, you really cant trust anyone but yourself to get it right. plus its a good thing to know how to do anyway...and in oklahoma is helps pass the time lol
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Oil? My truck uses oil?

Seriously, oil changes are one of the few things I DO NOT do on my truck. I have a mechanic (that our family has known for years) do it. My reason is simple -- I like a tire rotation with every oil change and I can't lift my own wheels/tires (back issues). If I'm going to pay someone to do something I can't do, myself, I might as well have him do a few other things for not much more cash ... and spare myself the pain.

If I didn't have back problems I'd do it myself ... along with my tire rotations.

Surreal

P.S. I like plain old oil.
  5. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I hear ya on the back issues. That's why I buy that Discount Tire service agreement. They take care of all my tire needs except baths.
    Good to know that some folks are unable to do it themselves. But finding a trusted shop or mechanic is crucial to reliablity
  6. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member 100 Posts

I do mine with Castrol Syntec oil and AC Delco filter. So far I have had 0 problems. Winter time, I just throw on my bibs and old carhardt, and just tough it out. and AC Delco filter
  7. oliveskate

oliveskate New Member

Always do mine every 4000kms with synthetic.
  8. dedmon27

dedmon27 New Member 100 Posts

Castrol syntec do it all myself
  9. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Mobil 1 and I do it myself. Don't trust anyone else with my old girl
  10. krp2nite

krp2nite New Member

Amsoil...do it myself when the oil life monitor says to...seems about 10-13k between changes using the oil life monitor. I put a Fumoto valve on vehicle I have ever owned right from the start---makes changing oil easy