Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

What other languages do you speak, if any?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Kady, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

So, a conversation came up while I was out and about and it got me wondering. How many people actually fluently speak another language besides English? What inspired you to learn another language? How difficult was it for you to pick up on? What other languages would you like to learn?

I only speak two languages, which the first is obvious, and the second is Portuguese.
    In my family, I am the first generation to be born in this country. My grandparents were born in the islands of the Azores in Portugal, where they got married, and moved to Bermuda, where my mom was born. If I didn't learn the language, I wouldn't be able to communicate with some of my family members.

Now that I'm a bit older, I want to also learn Spanish and French in hopes of one day moving back to the islands, and working for the airlines there. (You only need to speak portuguese, english and french)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
  2. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Being raised in SoCal, my Spanish was pretty good, but it has slipped a bit with the passing of many years and no opportunity to use it. It's beautiful language. However, I still consider myself bi-lingual...I am fluent in profanity and have working knowledge of broken english.

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I can read a good bit of Spanish and I can pick it up again when I'm around it for a while. I can read enough to make sense of German as well, but that's about it.

4. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Some Spanish and a semesters worth of Arabic. Grades started to fall so I decided to stop taking it and focus on the classes going towards my degree. Might look into Rosetta Stone to help further my vocab

5. Kady

I bought Rosetta Stone for my father in-law to learn to speak English, as he only speaks Portuguese, He's doing well with it, but is farrrrrrr from fluent.

6. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Does Rosetta Stone actually deliver? Is it really as good as the commercial say it is? I took three years of Spanish in HS (over ten years ago, lol) and have been wanting to pick it back up. I'm curious if Rosetta Stone is worth it.

7. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Most of my family's construction company are Hispanic I've gotten pretty good with Spanish taking 4 years n high school and working with them all the time. Sometimes they speak way toast though. It's a dead language but I've done 4 years of latin gott down pretty good. I've gotta weird love for other languages I'm taking an extinct languages class it's pretty cool

8. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

My grandparent spoke German and they taught me growing up. They passed when I was 12yrs old and no one else spoke it. Then in the High School I went too, I had to take 2 years of language. They did not have Germen. I did one year of Spanish and one year of French. I took the easy way out. Now I only know English maybe if I took a German course it would come back. If you don’t use it, you lose it.

9. Kady

Now, his dad knew absolutely no english besides a word here or there... He's now having broken conversations with people who go over. I don't think he gets enough practice to be "good" at it... I mean, its not going to work over night, but its definitely helping. You have to practice with a microphone and it doesn't let you pass the level unless you're getting it right...

10. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

English is the hardest of the common languages to learn so I think anyone who can speak it as a second language is impressive.