What other languages do you speak, if any?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Kady, Sep 4, 2012.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Ever so slowly I'm learning to speak German. K's family is German she's 1st generation American in her family so thats why I'm doing that. Not because I have to. In school they FORCED us to speak spanish but I wasn't having any of it.

2. mljjones67

mljjones67 New Member

I used to speak fluent Mandarin Chinese. I lived in Taiwan for two years when I was on a church mission. Its been a long time since I had to speak it so I have lost a lot. I just purchased the Rosetta stone a few months ago and I would say it is very good, even for beginers. I wish there were more Chinese people here where I live so I could practice. The funny thing is, is I dream in Chinese all the time. Also there is ways to express yourself it Chinese that you cant in English so sometimes its hard to get the feeling out in English.

3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

There are roughly 3 sentences I know in German and maybe 2 or 3 polite words

Hallo - Hello
    Danke - Thank You
    Vitta - Welcome
    Grun - Green
    Sex - Six
    Seiben - Seven

Hallo, ich heisse Riley
    Hallo, viget sen cien - spelling is way off

Ok I'm getting a headache lol

4. sfdefender24

sfdefender24 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I know 3 different languages other then english, not very fluent in them but i kno enough to findout there name, age, where they are from and a few other things. Those languages are Arabic, Dari and Pashtu. Learned them while being deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan.

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had to take spanish in high school. It did not go well. That being said, I know enough to get by. I have vacationed in Puerto rico, Cancun and Costa Rica. As long as the locals speak slow enough I can figure out what they are saying and somehow get my point accross. When I was younger and training daily in tae kwon do I somehow learned Korean and could speak it very well at the time. Now, I can only count to 20 in Korean.

6. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

I completely understand that. I'm just glad I live in a region where Portuguese is very popular because of the expressions, and some jokes and sayings are just so much better in Portuguese. There's no shortage of Portugee's here...

7. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Costa rica is the best place on earth especially the pacific side, my parents got a place in herradura

8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We spent 11 days in guanacaste. It was the most comfortable and safe I have ever felt being out of the country. We have friends whos parents build a 7 million dollar home there. We hopped in the car and went to a local rodeo where anyone could just decide to jump on a bull and ride. I man realized that we were not from there. (Given the 2 blond adults we were with are over 6 feet tall) He came over, started talking to us in english, helped us order beer, and even helped us work out the currency exchange. Some of the nicest people I ever met.

9. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It's awesome how a lot of the people speak English there. My parents build there house there a 6 or 7 years ago, they live down there from Christmas till it starts getting warm in Georgia . We got a 82 foot Viking down there that we charter, January is the best time to get some huge marlin, that's about all we do when we are there

10. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

English, Spanglish and Redneck. Not sure I am fluent in any :lol: