what power gain am i looking at getting with these changes?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by bdavis7983, Dec 6, 2010.

1. bdavis7983

bdavis7983 New Member

I have an everyday run of the mill 350 sbc. this weekend i am changing the heads out from the stock ones to a set of 882s with 3 angle valve job and ported and polished. 882s are not what i would consider good performance heads since i have a set of 441s with the valves cut out to 2.02 and 1.6 but not ported and polished. plus i dont want to go and try diggin them out of the barn. I am also going to bolt on a set of long tube headers, painted, nothing fancy. And a K&N air cleaner. But the K&N is for more longterm cheap use over hp.

What kind of power gain am i looking at if any? Im thinking maybe 10 to 20 hp.

p.s. next year the truck is getting a fresh 383, airgapper intake, th350 turbo, aluminium pulley set, 600 cfm carb, slightly above mild cam, msd ignition system, 2000 stall converter, full roller shaft rockers, so im not too worried about the power gain with the heads and headers, just curious.

2. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Fuel injected or carburated?

3. bdavis7983

bdavis7983 New Member

tbi for right now. not going to worry about switching till i put a different engine in. i just want to change the heads for right now because i have a bad valve guide and seal.

4. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I bet you'll gain 20 horse. Just those long tubes and intake should give you ten alone.

5. bdavis7983

bdavis7983 New Member

im not changing the intake right now, holding off on that till i get a good carb. just changing the heads and manifolds to headers for now. but that was about what i was thinking myself. Im going to have to change the valve springs as well because the 882s came off my friends figure 8 racer and the spring rate he has on them are too high for stock cam and hydrolic lifters. my friend is trying to get me to big block the truck but i think it would be a waste since the closest track to run on is a 1/8th mile. id have to put together a light turning assembly in the big block to wind up the rpms on that size of a track i think. plus i want a lighter truck.