1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What size tires are people running?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by 96GMCSLE, Apr 9, 2014.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 96GMCSLE

96GMCSLE New Member

Im picking up a 6" lift for my 96 k1500 and im curious about what size tire people are running. It will be lifted a total of 8". I just bought new 33" Discoverer STT's. I also heard about regearing if you put 35's on? Pics please:great:
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] had some 37's I believe on his truck. Check out his pics.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

They were 38.5's. I was running a 6" bds kit and a 3" body lift. I had to do some minor trimming to the bottom rear of the front fenders to fit the 38.5's. I ran 35's and 36's with no issues.
  4. 96GMCSLE

96GMCSLE New Member

I have to run small tires for a bit until the pocket book gets fatter haha which lifts are the better ones? I heard that rough country's 6" lift is really nice but I haven't heard anything about bds or any other brand
  5. Pikey

As far as I am concerned, BDS is the best kit you can get for that model year. I had a 6" superlift kit on it and replaced it with the bds kit. The bds kit has a no questions asked lifetime warranty. If you get in a wreck and fix he body, all you have to do is show bds the damaged lift components and they send you new ones. A guy that works at the local parts store has a rough country on his 96. It just looks cheap, it does not have the added supports that add a cross member and then go to the front end. After buying a crappy kit once and paying to replace it I would not go with any other company than bds for that model year
  6. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Buy cheap, buy twice.

That phrase applies to so many things: car parts, gun parts, computer parts, etc, etc.
  7. Pikey

I never had a rough country lift. I have compared the bds kit and the rough country kit side by side. We used to have an awesome offroad shop near me that had all the lift kits on display. Although the brackets look the same, bds had theirs welded the entire length of seams while the rough country had a few 1" long welds along the seam. I am not saying that the rough country will not hold up. But, in my opinion the bds kit looks nicer with the completely welded seams, plus I can not imagine the amount of water/mud/salt entering those brackets causing corrosion. I did a lot of research after installing the junk superlift kit, The kit that I could find not complaints about, with the best warranty and reviews was BDS. The difference between the superlift kit and the bds kit were night and day as far as how stable they felt under the truck.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  8. 96GMCSLE

96GMCSLE New Member

BDS kits do look nice but I just cant justify spending another 2k on a truck that I already plugged to much money in. I'm opting for a used complete 6" tuff spindle lift kit for $600
  9. Pikey

If you are comfortable installing a used kit on your truck then it looks like you scored a good deal. I for one would never consider installing a used kit on my truck. I would not put my kids or other people's lives at risk, there are too many unknown variables. I would have questions like, Why was it removed from the last truck? Was the vehicle involved in an accident? How old is the kit? How many miles on it? How was it treated (on road use only or a lot of offroad)? Corrosion issues? (especially in states that use salt). Plain and simple, if I can't not afford a new kit, then I can't afford to lift my truck. Suspension, like brakes, are not something to cheap out on. But, to each his own, if you are comfortable with it then go for it and good luck.
  10. 96GMCSLE

96GMCSLE New Member

Thanks Pikey. I will be asking all those questions. Now in the flip note, is it hard to install a spindle lift?