Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

What Size Tires

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Chevyguy69, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Chevyguy69

Chevyguy69 New Member

Do I need to run? I've got the OEM 17" and found a killer deal on some 22"s rims. What size could i run and not throw the speedo off much? Would some 275/45/22 be close? I know what few I found wasn't exactly cheap! lol

2. grampy

grampy Member 100 Posts

Just my opinion and that's worth about $ .02. I would put on my track shoes and run like H@## ! The cost of tires seems to go up considerably for every inch of rim dia. No one can explain that to me without my B.S. detector going off. 17" are more expensive than 16" for stock or oem size with the same tread width, same od, same load rating & etc. Anything above 17 is out of sight on tire cost. My local tire shop likes the big rims - he just starts counting his profit when someone rolls up to the door with 18" and up ! Just my opinion, KEN

3. Chevyguy69

Chevyguy69 New Member

You know, I came to that conclusion when I woke up this morning. 17" good tires are high enough for me! lol

4. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

22" rims on a silverado

If you want to keep the same tire height with a 22" rim, you better have a good grip on the wheel, and some extra padding in the seat. A short tire on a 22" rim will have a very short sidewall, and is going to ride like a tank.

5. kshephard

kshephard New Member

I agree.... and with a short sidewall hitting a pothole you're going to bend your wheel.

I also can't figure out why 20" wheels are so much more $$ than 17". If the tire height is the same, there is less material in the 20" . Such a scam.

6. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

which tires?

K, you wrote "wheels", but I think you meant "tires", correct? Three things drive the price of everything you buy, from apples to wheels...cost to bring to market, demand for the item, and availability. In the case of the 20" tire, there are not nearly as many made as 17" tires, so average cost is higher. There is a high demand, driving the price up. And, there is relatively low availability. You are right about there being (generally) less material, but material is only a portion of the price of any item. Personally, I can't imagine spending twice as much for a tire that will ride twice as hard, and wear out twice as fast....but I'm old.

7. kshephard

kshephard New Member

Yep. Meant tire...

8. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

This. ALL of this.

And tire prices don't get too crazy until you get above 18". Most 15/16/17" tires can be had for the same price. Of course, some of that depends on where you get them from.

9. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

What year truck? The NNBS can handle 22s easily.

You can also get a re-programmer to tell the ECU what the tire height is.