1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What spark plug to use?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by partsman, Feb 26, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. partsman

partsman New Member

Bought a used 1996 GMC Sierra extended cab, 4X4 long box with 7.4/454 motor, auto tranny, 3.73 gears, with 219.000Km/137,000M on it.
    I am wondering what brand and type of plug to use in it.
    Here I hope are pictures of one of them I took out tonight to look at.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. nightmare

nightmare New Member

i would go with the bouch platinum+4 plugs 6.99 at checker o'rilelly auto parts or if you can afford them deffinitly get the pulsar plugs about 45$ for 2 of them you'll get a little better mpg as well
  3. yotchie

yotchie Member 100 Posts

isnt it true that using those fancy plugs will only make a difference if you are running boost? unless i guess as in this case they are in bad shape
  4. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i have had good luck with bosch platinum 4
  5. mjalstad

mjalstad New Member 100 Posts

OEM AC Delcos. I've heard people talking about getting better MPG and power and whatnot with a fancy plug. You are never going to notice any difference whatsoever! With certain applications such as boosted engines some people do like to use a copper plug for heat transfer reasons which I think still does not really matter. I would just go with the OEM plug because you are probably the least likely to havea problem with them. I have also heard many stories about certain GM vehciles being very finicky about needing delco plugs, probably just a load of BS but a couple of really good mechanics I used to work with say they've seen it and will never put anything in a GM but an AC Delco OEM plug.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  6. Chris Miller

Chris Miller New Member 100 Posts

Best way to figure out what Bosch plug is for you:
    Take eight of them and put them in a bucket of water. Whichever ones float, use them.
    Definitely stick with AC-Delco. They cost as much as a Platinum 4, but they'll last twice as long.
  7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

LMAO!!!!!!!111

That's funny but oh so true. A/C Delco plugs are designed to work in GM Engines. I just changed the Iridium plugs in my truck. They had 68K on them and they looked as new. The gap was even the same as the new plugs. Had I known this I would have left them in but I already purchased the new plugs.

The rule of thumb is A/Cs in GMs, Autolites in Fords and Champions in Mopars. Send the rest of them overseas! <GBG>
  8. 77chevy

77chevy New Member

That's some damnd good info! Thanks. I'll stick with delko