What spark plugs with 234k look like! (Photos)

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Crawdaddy, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I agree with Pikey mine were factory with 197,000 miles on them when I removed them and they were close to factory gaps. Of course my Tahoe was one of the first GMs to use stock platinum plugs rated for 100,000 miles before they needed to be checked or changed. One broke when removing but that was because I didn't use enough penetrating oil. Others came out with out a problem at the shop that I then brought the truck too so they could remove the broken plug.

2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

My wife's Saturn Vue has 95k on it. The only things that have been done to it are oil changes when she tells me it has been 5k miles, flushed tranny,front pads (hurry up and stop driver) and put new tires on it. I know I need to spend some money on it but it seems to run ok.

3. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone Rockstar 100 Posts

Saturn's run forever it seems. I keep hearing people with 200-300k and no major issues. It's like the little engines that can.

4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I have not replaced plugs on any or my cars since my 1989 Isuzu pickup. Today's platinum tipped plugs are good for at least 100K miles, and I rarely keep a vehicle over 100K (I get sick of looking at it).

You bought that Ion new and have only replaced the tires once? No way you get 100K+ out of a set of tires.

5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have officially run 1 full tank of fuel through it since changing the plugs. I got 32MPG this go-round. That's right in the middle of my average range of fuel mileage, so it looks like it didn't hurt it, but it didn't help it either. The engine definitely seems to run and idle better than before I changed the plugs. I'm not having the slumping when coming from medium RPMs to idle like I used to have where the engine would shake as it ran below the idle speed.

This weekend I'm going to pick up a can of Seafoam to dump in the tank to try to clean up the injectors and carbon. I'm not expecting any real performance improvements, but anything that will help me get more life out of the car. I'm also going to bite the bullet and change out the front struts this weekend. I'm tired of all the suspension noise and getting beat up from the road.

6. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

What about the cam belt? That is one I am not looking forward to do on the Vue.

7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

As far as I know based on my research, I am lucky in that this engine has a chain, which are typically more resilient and can go more miles. So, I have not replaced the timing chain yet. Also from my research, this is not an interference motor, which gives me peace of mind.

I'm I am wrong in these assumptions, PLEASE let me know so I don't have a ticking timebomb on my hands!

8. Headroom

Headroom New Member

Sure others have more on original plugs I have an '06 5.3l and 90,000 miles.