What "strange" things have you eaten?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Coach24, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Yup Rocky Mountain Oysters. My son worked on a ranch in Nevada and every spring at branding time the rocky mountain oysters were the main entree

2. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

souse meat(pork) is the same as headcheese made from the flesh of the head of lamb,beef. souse meat is packaged and sold in grocery stores down here , hot peppered souse is real good with cheese and crackers . Polk Salad (Pokeweed ) grows all over the place side of the road, fields and woods , mom used to mix it with Collard greens , Kale or with scrambled eggs and bacon bits, works real good on your digestive system. Wikipedia can tell you more

3. Coach24

Yup. went to search and found Polk is highly discouraged for human or animal consumption. Seems it is poisonous

4. JnBama

The mature plants ,seeds and roots are toxic, pick the new 12" sprouts early spring

5. Coach24

Oh I see. I talked to a friend in Georgia and she said they don't like souse meat, but she explained the similarity to head cheese

6. JnBama

I havn't had any in years but it's real rich and greasy, alot of the stuff listed I had was being around grand pa and old folks out in the country in Mississippi, Missouri

7. Coach24

Too bad we can't go back to those days and be grateful for what the Lord gave us and not waste so much edible products. Hard to even find Live and Onions on a menu these days. Used to be on all menus.

8. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Kim-Chi, Korean sour kraut. Very good, but the whole countryside will smell like the stuff once you open the container.
    I miss liver and onions too. It's spelled Poke, I believe, and I have eaten that too.

9. JnBama

spelled both ways polk and poke, but continue to monitor my post if in case I have entered wrong information and correct me, thanks

10. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Hey, I sho ain'ta gonna pin nobody down on how us rednecks spells thaings. If'n we use somthin' close to "ainglish" it be good enuff.:rofl: