Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

What temperature does your engine run at?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Z28Johnny, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Z28Johnny

Z28Johnny Rockstar

My 96 Suburban ran at 210 all the time with the 7.4, towing or not. I sold it and just got a 01 Yukon XL 8.1. It runs around 175 degrees 90% of the time and it got up to maybe 190 when towing up some steep hills. Is this normal? It seems too low. I'd rather have it too low than too high, but it just seems too low.

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

180 deg F in summer, except when towing 6,000 lb. boat up hills, then raises to 195-200 deg F, but I have an all aluminum radiator that is better & larger than stock GM, & also put in 2 electric fans, (one thermostatically controlled, & one manually controlled).
    I have a Stewart Warner mechanical guage so it's accurate to the extreme.
    Winter time I switch to a 195 thermostat & it stays at 195 F due to cold days.
    Factory electrical guages aren't so accurate, so you may be running a bit warmer than it shows.

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

As long as you are running from 180-210 you are fine with the factory guages... If you think that you are a little to cool you might consider upgrading to a 195 new T-stat.

4. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x2!....................