What tire pressure to run on load "E" tires?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by chevyman2004, Aug 14, 2009.

1. chevyman2004

chevyman2004 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 2004 Silverado 2500HD with Laramie Performer tires load E with a max 80 psi. What tire pressure should i be running in them unloaded and loaded? I have been running them at 70 psi unloaded, is this wrong?

2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

If you are not "loading" it down, I'd keep the pres. @ 45 psi. It rides better and your tires will probably last longer. Also, there should be a "tag" on the door post that tells you what pres. to run. Good luck!

3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

4. moosetags

moosetags Rockstar 100 Posts

I have two 2500 Suburbans, an '04 and an '05. Both have load range E tires. The driver door sticker shows that the rear tire pressure at 80 psi and the front tires at 50 psi.

When not loaded or towing, I am running 70 psi rear and 50 psi front.

When towing my Airstream (7400#/900# tongue weight), I run 80 psi rear and 70 psi front because an anti-sway/weight distribution hitch system is in use. This shifts weight to the front axle to equalize the load and level the truck.

Keep in mind that load range E tires are 10 ply and somewhat stiff. D's are 8 ply and C's are six ply. E's are designed to run at these higher pressures. I wouldn't run E' at anything below 50 psi.

Brian

5. neverenough

neverenough New Member

I agree with Moose 100%. I run mine the same way unloaded and loaded

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

One of the easiest ways to find where you should be running your tires is to draw heavy chalk lines across the pavement in front of the tires then roll the truck over the chalk lines and check the findings.
    Chalk line on outer edges and not the center to low pressure.
    Chalk lines across the center and not the edges to high pressure.
    Chalk line evenly across the tire pressure is right.

In this case since your wanting loaded and unloaded pressures you'll need to load the truck and find the pressures, then do the same method unloaded.
    Record your pressures for future use.
    When using this method you'll notice all four tires will probably end up with different pressures, this is because the load at each tire is different.

7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Those obviously arent the factory tires, find what the manufacturer says

8. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone Rockstar 100 Posts

i have load range e tires from the factory on my 09 2500 silvy and i run my tires at the manufacturers suggestion....i keep them at 80 out back and 60 in the front, i do not change the air for loaded or unloaded

9. chevyman2004

chevyman2004 Rockstar 100 Posts

I've looked all over the web for info on Laramie tires but there isn't much info on them and i did the chalk line thing and there was chalk in the middle so i will dial it down to 50 psi and see how that goes. thanks for the help.

10. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

On both of my 2500HD's I run 45 lbs. unloaded, and then when we tow the car trailer we never go more than 60 lbs. We had 80 lbs. in them one time, and they looked like they were going to explode! Our certified ASE mechanic told us he would never put 80lbs. in an unloaded truck tire :rofl: I don't really think there is a constant answer in this matter, I think it is personal preference and what works for you.