1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What to do about rust behind wheels

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by kylegillean, Jul 5, 2009.

1. kylegillean

kylegillean Former Member

This is the first vehicle I have wanted to keep maintained. I have rust on the fenders behind my rear wheels and don't know exactly how to get at it as a DIY project. I was thinking of going to a dealer and getting a spray can of paint and some primer and just sanding, priming and painting. but i don't know if should just do the whole area or tape it off and do exactly the spots of rust. anything will help.

[​IMG]
  2. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It all depends on far you want to take it. It doesn't seem like totally serious rust - just light surface rust.

I would sand a good bit of that entire piece with some (somewhat) aggressive paper to make sure you get all the rust cut out, hit it with a little rust inhibitor for good measure, get a good layer of primer on there and then take it to a body shop for them to paint. You can have them paint just that area (the rest of the paint will have to be scuffed up... you can do it or let them do it).

The trick about painting just the area is that you want a cutoff point. I never like the feathered paint jobs. If the paint is not 100% match then you'll be able to see the feathering when the sun hits it just right at times. Most especially with all the new fangled flake and metallic paints, etc. Now,it's not a big deal with this area with it being way below line-of-sight and at an angle but it's just as easy to have the corner as a cut-off point.

Have the shop feather it at the corner. It's very difficult to discern slight mis-matches when you are talking about a corner a separate panel, a body line break, etc.

I hope this helps a little.

Good luck!

PS- Welcome to the GMTC!
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  3. Dantheman

Dantheman New Member

Same thing is happening to my truck, at least in the beginning stages. I used some por-15 to cover the little spots, but i have a truck that roughly matches the color of the por-15. Have you ever thought about a two tone paint job? Thats what i was goign to do when the bottom edges start getting really bad.
  4. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Actually, I was going to suggest Rhino Liner on the bottom edges.. :) It comes in many different colours..!..
  5. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

Clean up the rust, throw some rust inhibitor/paint on it and add some fender flares?
  6. 2008blackWT

2008blackWT Rockstar

Fender flares is a good idea. alot of people buy flares just for this reason. I just used some Rust Bullet this weekend to help with some rust on a car i am going to be painting. Man this stuff goes on and dont come off. I got it on my hands and i cant get it off. Even tried thinner and that didnt work. But like springthing said it doesnt look very bad so i would just sand it all off add some rust inhibitor and either paint to match or add flares.
  7. kylegillean

kylegillean Former Member

thanks for the help. Fender flares or two tone to me wouldn't look right with this color of truck. just my opinion. thanks for the help. i am gonna go for sanding it down and painting it.