What to do after 9 years?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 1991 K2500, Jul 29, 2009.

1. 1991 K2500

1991 K2500 New Member

I'm new to this site so bare with me!
    I just bought a 1991 GMC 2500 (350 TBI, 700r4) from a friend of mine. I got a great deal because my other truck is down for the count. About 9 years ago, it jumped time. My friend put a new chain and gears and cover on it. Because of his job, he had to stop working on it. He never got around to ever finishing up the truck and it has sat there ever since. It has been outside with the engine wrapped up and the front up on jack stands. I have got it running pretty well and it has cleaned up nice. Everything works and seems to be doing fine. Except the transmission. He had it rebuilt about 5,000 miles before the truck was parked. I changed the fluid and filter on the trans right after I got it and have checked and re-checked the fluid levels and they are correct. The problem I'm having with it is that it don't shift right. It shifts into 2nd way too early and seems to shift through the gears too quick. It shifts 1-2 at about 10mph with regular acceleration. Also it doesn't seem like it downshifts right either. I have adjusted the TV cable the best I can according to what I have been told. What unique problems would be linked to it having sat for so long? Is there something that I can take apart and clean or check? Is there any additive that you would recommend? I would love to have the money to have it taken to a trans shop but right now I’m pretty short on money so anything I can do on my own would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to GMTC. You need to adjust the TV cable. Maki it shorter to raise TV pressure and your truck will shift later. The quick way to adjust the cable is to release the latch and let the cable snap back into the case. Lock the tab in this position. Now floor the gas pedal and the cable will self adjust.

Driving the truck with the cable out of adjustment will burn up the trnasmission in short order.

3. 1991 K2500

1991 K2500 New Member

On a side note about the TV cable. The friend of mine who I got the truck from said that he had to replace the cable not long before it jumped time. As luck would have it, he still had the original cable. Before I found out that he had the old cable, I went and got a new one. When I compare the original one to the new one, I found that the old one is shorter by about 8 or 9 inches. Is this a problem? I watched the guy look up the part at the parts store and he looked it up right and got the right part number. Or do I just need to compare the original with all the ones I have and match it up that way? I’m so lost!! Please help!

4. spottweld

spottweld New Member

700 r4

ok your problem is your tv cable. now as long as the new cable has the same amt of travel it will work just fine. does it have the same amt of cable sticking out of both ends if so your fine. now look at where the cable attaches to the bracket on your intake youll see a plastic square with a metal tang on it if you press in the tang and pull on the plastic end of the cable it will slide in or out. also you might have a chipped tooth on your governor, it is located near the tail of your tranny. there will be a round cover about 4 inches around with a metal snap holding it on you cant miss it. pry the cover off and youll see some weights . grab ahold of this and pull it out and check the plastic teeth. an R4 is controlled by the tv cable and as long as its not slipping the tv is your problem

5. Jimmiee

The overall length can be longer. That will not change the way it operates. It's the length of the inner cable that determines the pressure adjustment. Adjust it like I mentioned and work from there on the fine tuning. If you make it too short it will shift too hard but this won't hurt anything.

6. 1991 K2500

1991 K2500 New Member

Thanks guys! I'll try the new one in the morning and see how it goes. I love this place already :)

7. 1991 K2500

1991 K2500 New Member

I still cant get it right. I think the cable I got from the parts place is the wrong one. I'm getting so mad!!!

8. Jimmiee

What exactly is it doing?

9. 1991 K2500

1991 K2500 New Member

When I start off, it shifts into 2nd at less than 10 mph. If I start from a dead stop,and I put it in 1st it slips sometimes but I can shift through the gears. However if I do the downshifting, i seems like it won't go into 1st. I keep thinking that since it has been sitting for 9 years, that a valve may be stuck or something is clogged. I did change the fluid and filter before I ever moved it. I really don't have the money to take it to a shop. If I take the pan off, is there something I can take off and clean it to try to help? Oh yeah, I took the gov out and it looked great. Like I said, it was rebuilt not long before it was parked. Something in my gut tells me it has to do with it sitting for so long. :neutral:

10. 1991 K2500

1991 K2500 New Member

I have searched and searched the net and tried to find out what to do. I feel like it a combo of two things: sitting so long and the incorrect TV cable. Problem with the cable is the only place I can get one is Advance auto and they are the ones that gave me the one that seems too long. The GM dealer don't even have one. I'm gonna try a junk yard today and see how that goes. I wished I knew more about troubleshooting transmissions (or had more money!!):grrrrrr: