What to do next? Lights?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Rocket32, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Rocket32

Rocket32 New Member

Hi everyone! Trying to figure out what I want to do next to my truck. HID? or change the bulbs in my tail lights? Or something else for <$100? Just looking to add a little bit at a time. Do not have the money to completely change headlights and tail lights and 3rd brake light and all that right now. Again, looking to add just a little extra. Any thoughts? Much appreciated! BTW pics of my truck on on my profile.

2. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I have read that if you should not put HID bulbs in the stock housing as the reflectors are not made for HID light.

Since you put on chrome door handles, maybe you could put on a chrome tailgate handle (I did it to my 2013). You can get the chrome stick on handle off ebay for less than $20. From your pics, I assume you have an LS (chrome steel wheels), so here is an ebay listing for a chrome tailgate handle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-12-Chevy...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e73c68b6c&vxp=mtr

Also look at putting on chrome mirror caps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silverado-T...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4856ffeac5&vxp=mtr

If my assumption is right, I would also suggest getting a tailgate lock. In some areas tailgate theft is a big problem. You can get this unit from BOLT, it has a smart tumbler that learns your factory key. If you decide to get it, you will need to get a chrome handle with a key hole.

http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-b...ngid=274x516&gclid=CIPek9WPkbgCFcN_QgodYncATQ

3. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Amber bulbs in the DRL cost about $4 for a set, and look good, I think.

4. Rocket32

Rocket32 New Member

I appreciate the feedback so far! I am taking everything into consideration so all you guys' opinions help! Thanks.

Also, pretty sure I want to do something with lighting. Is changing the interior lights and license plate lights to LED's difficult and costly? Thanks!

5. stchman

From his profile, he has a 2008 Silverado. They use the low beam for the DRL whereas the NBS Silverados had a separate DRL bulb.

6. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Adding to what others have said... custom front plate, bug guard, decals etc. There's allot that can be done at $100 a time.

7. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

if you end up doing your headlights, save yourself alot of time and money and DO NOT do it little by little, do it all at once and do it right the first time... do a proper HID retrofit

8. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I have had my HIDs for 5 years in stock housings with no problems. If you buy a quality light kit and use a relay to protect the factory electrics it should be good.

9. stchman

I did not mean it would damage them, just that from what I have read is that HIDs need to be in a projector housing, not in a reflector housing. Something about the HID light being too bright and possibly blinding oncoming drivers.

I'm not trying to chime in on legality issues.

10. Rocket32

Rocket32 New Member

Thanks again everyone. I have decided to do go with upgrading my interior. I have on the way a LED interior light package. Dom, map, license plate as well. Found one for a great price. Going to do that now and save up for HID a little later. Still have some $ to do other things though so I am still appreciating your input!