1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What to do with a 35" spare tire!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Silverado 4X4, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Silverado 4X4

Silverado 4X4 New Member

I'm thinking about getting some 35" tires for a nbs silverado. My question is where does everyone put them. I know somebody is gonna say the bed, but for me thats outta the question. The reason I bought a truck is for all the bed space. A roof rack isn't much better, but I haven't found a single one that looks decent while haulin a 35" spare tire on the roof. I never see any silverados runnin around with huge spare tires so either they are cleverly hidden or people simply don't use'm. All input is very much appreciated. Thanks

Edit: I just now thought about keeping a compressor onboard instead. What does everbody else use?
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

how about getting a spare tire carrier that will replace u're tail gate?
  3. Silverado 4X4

Silverado 4X4 New Member

I thought about that, but I'd kinda like to keep my tail gate. That's a lot uglier. But it'd be great for when I went offroading.
    I was particulary looking at:
    http://www.tiregate.com/index.php
  4. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I had a spare tire carrier that mounted to the rear bumper on my 95 Tahoe. It swings open so you can access the cargo area. I've seen quite a few like that recently which mount to the hitch. The HG series in your link looks nice.
  5. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I carry a big bottle jack, Hi-Lift jack and base, spare stock lug nuts and the sockets to fit both stock and aftermarket lug nuts. It looks like alot but its not. I carry my stock spare, but if you have a rear locker and have a rear flat you have to move the larger front tire to the rear and than put the stock spare on the front. Its a pain in the ass but I've only had to do it once in 5 years. I think its worth doing it this way rather than dealing with a spare 35" tire everyday.
  7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I put my 35 spare where the spare goes. had enough clearance from the exhaust and hitch. now not sure if it is related but the second time I tried to put the tire up there the winch wouldnt lift the tire, so now its in my bed:grrrrrr:
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Just a thought about mounting a 35" tire on the roof in a roof rack. Has anyone ever tried to lift a 35 over there head by themslves? It's no picnic!
  9. Greg84

Greg84 New Member 100 Posts

What about standing the tire up in the bed in front of the wheel well? They make tire carriers to hold it in that spot, it is in the bed but that area in front of the wheel wells is kind of useless anyhow.
  10. Silverado 4X4

Silverado 4X4 New Member

Do you have a NBS silverado? I looked there and figured that there was no way it was going to fit, so I didn't try it. If there was enough clearance, did you have stock exhaust?