what to do you think of plasti dip?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by gabethesvg, Oct 16, 2012.

1. gabethesvg

gabethesvg New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY9Dx617N8

this video is showing a product that you can make your car any color flat or gloss kit costs 200$ and is good for 2 cars . looks like it works just thought ide throw it up here for thoughts
  2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

looks interesting. something to think about for down the road.

Alex
  3. gabethesvg

gabethesvg New Member

exactly my thoughts might get a few cans to try it out , if it seems to go good illbe doing my whole truck :D
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member

I would consider it if I still had my 1990 safari minivan. the paint was peeling and it looked terrible. I am not into that look so unless I had some major paint issues on my truck I would not do it. Looks like an easy process though. I saw a new jeep grand cherokee painted like that yesterday. It did catch my eye. It was odd that a 65 year old man was driving it.
  5. gabethesvg

gabethesvg New Member

always wanted that flat black look without the viynl wrap price . thinking about doing flat black with orange accents
  6. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

I've used plastic dip and love it I've thought about doing my whole truck for fun to see how it looks
  7. Curky

Curky New Member

I don't know, If I had a beater maybe. If it gets nickedor scratched you are up *%$^ creek. You would have to remove that peace and redo it.
  8. gabethesvg

gabethesvg New Member

from what ppl say you can patch pretty easy but one never knows untill he tries , another guy showed his truck after a year with flat white and it still looked good!think ill start small and work my way up lol do the crome bumpers and badges see how it works and go from there
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member

That was my concern also. is it smooth when done?
  10. Curky

Curky New Member

I watched the whole video and it did not look like it. Imean it looked smooth but not like a paint job. I painted for some time including our work vans. If I was doing some off roading and wanted a little extra protectionon the guards and stuff of that nature, ok then. I might use for the underneathof my truck for salt but I think I would still rather use rhino spray for that,witch I’m doing in the spring.

I cannot see myself spraying plastic/rubber on my truckor even an ATV for that matter. I just can’t, especially to outside. To each isto own (or how ever that go’s lol). It might be cool for the interior stuff.Not a hack job like the guy in the video. I would have to do each peace and notusing the crack as a tape off.

The more I type the more that is going through my mind.It looked pretty simple the way he did it. Right? What about when he pops thehood or opens the doors.

Maybe I am being a little harsh, but this is only one mans opinion. It is you Truck, Car, Atv, or whatever so do what you wish to it.

- - - Updated - - -

@Pikey I quoted you just for the smooth comment. Not the rant, lol
    1 person likes this.
  11. pmf608

pmf608 New Member

I wanted to get some plastidip to do my stock wheels and bumpers in black... just for a different look for the winter while my 20s are in storage. I don't want to paint the wheels because I'm not entirely sure I'd like them being black, and the bumpers I would do because I could easily have a different look in the winter and go back to chrome for the summer. The problem for me is that it is ridiculously hard to get here in Canada and it isn't sold in Canada for less than $17 per can as opposed to the $5-6 per can everyone says it costs in the states.
  12. gabethesvg

gabethesvg New Member

watch the youtub videos there are tons , i dunno but i seem to see some good results. sure if you want a good job it will take time but for the most part its a cheap badass way to change your look i think.
  13. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

I'll be plastidipping my entire truck tomorrow I've had it on my rims for well over a year and just peeled it all off today and reprinted because I had a few rips
  14. gabethesvg

gabethesvg New Member

ide love to see pics as i will be doing it very soon as well! your truck looks awsome rims look sleek, i had those stocks now i wish i would have kept them haha
  15. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

I'll take some when I'm doing it. I've been very happy with my rims ill be keeping them until I do 20s to clear some willwoods. I've decided I'm keeping this truck so all the money I had for a down payment will be going in it
  16. gabethesvg

gabethesvg New Member

nice cant wait to see it!
  17. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

Me too you making this thread gave me the itch to go ahead and do it. I spent all day doing some prep work and getting rid of the rest of my emblems and all the gunk underneath which is a pita
  18. gabethesvg

gabethesvg New Member

thats what i get to look forward too i guess :D
  19. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

It isn't a very smooth finish. But if you take your time it'll look good. My reason for doing my whole truck is it is scraped to hell. Plus ill peel it all off in a few years when I actually reprint her, I just don't see a reason to do it while I'm still in college with all these crazy people driving around me I've been hit twice n a parking lot in my 4 years at bama. Didn't have the time I thought I would today so I just did my tailgate to see if ill like it
    [​IMG]
    Ignore my bed cap I'm replacing it this weekend and my bumper was painted well over a year ago it's getting painted too.
  20. gabethesvg

gabethesvg New Member

nice man! it looks pretty damn good to me. im deffinetly ordering some and starting with all the chrome around the truck on my bumpers. do you have any more pics of the rest of the truck?.