1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what to do you think of plasti dip?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by gabethesvg, Oct 16, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. gabethesvg

gabethesvg New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY9Dx617N8

this video is showing a product that you can make your car any color flat or gloss kit costs 200$ and is good for 2 cars . looks like it works just thought ide throw it up here for thoughts
  2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

looks interesting. something to think about for down the road.

Alex
  3. gabethesvg

gabethesvg New Member

exactly my thoughts might get a few cans to try it out , if it seems to go good illbe doing my whole truck :D
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would consider it if I still had my 1990 safari minivan. the paint was peeling and it looked terrible. I am not into that look so unless I had some major paint issues on my truck I would not do it. Looks like an easy process though. I saw a new jeep grand cherokee painted like that yesterday. It did catch my eye. It was odd that a 65 year old man was driving it.
  5. gabethesvg

gabethesvg New Member

always wanted that flat black look without the viynl wrap price . thinking about doing flat black with orange accents
  6. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've used plastic dip and love it I've thought about doing my whole truck for fun to see how it looks
  7. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I don't know, If I had a beater maybe. If it gets nickedor scratched you are up *%$^ creek. You would have to remove that peace and redo it.
  8. gabethesvg

gabethesvg New Member

from what ppl say you can patch pretty easy but one never knows untill he tries , another guy showed his truck after a year with flat white and it still looked good!think ill start small and work my way up lol do the crome bumpers and badges see how it works and go from there
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That was my concern also. is it smooth when done?
  10. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I watched the whole video and it did not look like it. Imean it looked smooth but not like a paint job. I painted for some time including our work vans. If I was doing some off roading and wanted a little extra protectionon the guards and stuff of that nature, ok then. I might use for the underneathof my truck for salt but I think I would still rather use rhino spray for that,witch I’m doing in the spring.

I cannot see myself spraying plastic/rubber on my truckor even an ATV for that matter. I just can’t, especially to outside. To each isto own (or how ever that go’s lol). It might be cool for the interior stuff.Not a hack job like the guy in the video. I would have to do each peace and notusing the crack as a tape off.

The more I type the more that is going through my mind.It looked pretty simple the way he did it. Right? What about when he pops thehood or opens the doors.

Maybe I am being a little harsh, but this is only one mans opinion. It is you Truck, Car, Atv, or whatever so do what you wish to it.

- - - Updated - - -

@Pikey I quoted you just for the smooth comment. Not the rant, lol
    1 person likes this.