wHAT TO EXPECT

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Don_Quihotes_Big_Body, Jul 20, 2008.

1. HELLO WORLD,
    JUST BOUGHT MY SELF A 2004 CHEVY SILVERADO WITH 5.3L AUTO TRANS 2WD THE TRUCK THAT I HAVE WANTED SINCE FOREVER. ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I WAS WONDERING IS WHAT TO EXPECT FROM MY TRUCK. FLUIDS AND WHAT NOT LOOK GOOD THE ENGINE SOUNDS STRONG. IT HAS 72 THOUSAND MILES ON MY BEAST, AND GAS MILEAGE IS GETTING ME BUT I AM WILLING TO SACRIFICE MPG FOR WHAT I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED. SO IF ANYBODY COULD HELP ME OUT?

:neutral:
    :sign0016:

2. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new truck!! I just got my 5.3L crew cab in March, and I'm loving it! Right now I'm getting about 17 mpg average city and highway (mostly highway), but I'm working on improving that. I've put a K&N intake on it so far and that gave noticeable performance increases, but not much mileage. I plan on a Magnaflow exhaust and a Hypertech Max Energy programmer. Lots of guys on here swear by custom tunes too. I think I'm going with the programmer so I don't have to worry about having to get my PCM reprogrammed if I decide to change something in the future. That's just my thoughts. You can go a million different ways with it.

3. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

:sign0016::sign0016: to GMTC!!

4. thanks man, yeah lovin and lovin more and more my truck. yeah cold air intakes improve horse power but doesn't really improve gas mileage just because the amount of air coming in from the intake increases so the engine has to compisate for that so what happens it increase to fuel too. but once you get that exhause upgrade it should decrease back flow on the engine and increase mpg. yeah were are you going to get exhaust parts because i am looking already.

5. nice truck man thanks

6. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Congrat's on the truck! I bought my '04 used w/55000 miles on it and now 2 years later I have 103000 miles w/o any problems, until this week. I am having some problems with the AC, but that won't be too much, considering the mileage. It does have the rattle in the steering column, but that is common with these trucks. I avg. 17+ mpg and mine is 4X4 Crew Cab. Good luck!

7. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm just going to go with a Magnaflow muffler replacement and tip, keeping the single side exit. I thought about going with dual exit, but I was told that dual exit wouldn't give me anything noticeable, performance wise, over the single exit. I can get the single set up for less than $150 at a local shop. The dual set-up was going to run me $360. I'm not that concerned with it being loud. I just want that deep, mellow tone.

My suggestion would be to talk with a local muffler shop. Maybe ask around to find a reputable one in your area. Get some quotes and play around with your options. If you've got questions, ask away. Not saying I'll know the answer, but odds are, someone on here will!