1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Fine Burban, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Fine Burban

Fine Burban Member

I've got a '89 with a 5.7L, 4x4, 700R4, and 33x12.5x15 A/Ts What I am looking for is any upgrades to get ready for the snow around town to up in the cascades on some logging roads. I have noticed that when I am in 4 low or 4 hi it pulls pretty hard right. it might be normal? I will also be working the roads for stuck cars on and around base so I may have to pull Vehicles out. Anything from powertrain, running gear, and lighting or other ideas are more than welcome. Thanks. -FB-
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I don't think that the pulling to the right is normal. At least in the 4 4x4's I have had they did not do it. My nephews truck did pull to the left in 4x4, it turned out to be a bad wheel hub. I would make sure that I have taken care of all preventative maintenance things. Change out fluids, front and rear diff, t-case, trans, when was the last tune up?, fuel filter? When was the last time someone checked out the front end? tie rods, ball joints, idler and pitman arm? When where the shocks last changed? I know that those things are not as fun as new performance upgrades but, it will keep your truck on the road when you need it.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  3. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

The pulling to the right is NOT normal. My 90 suburban doesn't pull in or out of 4wd, nor does my wife's 99 Tahoe. I would stick with fixing that for an upgrade myself and a hoot set of roof lights and tires. Pokey hit the nail on the head with worn front end parts IMO.
  4. Fine Burban

Fine Burban Member

Well when I get back to WA on saturday I will be replacing plugs, wires, dist. cap & rotor, re check the timing, oil and filter change, trans oil and filter change, transfer case oil change as well as the front and rear diff. While I am at it I will look into the pulling issue and probably end up replacing the U joints in all of the drive line. The PO had the truck for 4 months and when I asked him over the phone what the tire size was he had no clue what I was talkign about so I think I need to go thru this with I fine tooth comb. Thanks for your input on the pulling issue Pikey.

- - - Updated - - -

So I went ahead and ordered all the U-Joints and the front end ball joints and wheel bearings, just because since I am already going to be elbows deep in the front end I might as well do everything. So, back to my original question now that I know that the pulling isnt normal and will be fixed, is there anything that should be addressed (weak points) of this vehicle? -FB-
  5. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

What everyone else said... plus tires. Tires make all the difference with deep snow and ice.
  6. Fine Burban

Fine Burban Member

I sure that this is going to be along the lines of asking what oil does everyone else use, but is there a tire / brand that works better than most for snow conditions?
  7. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I live in west texas... so i cant give any input on a snow tire choice:rofl:

But as far as lighting goes, ECCO makes some REALLY badass work lights and even emergency vehicle lighting. Always easy to wire and install, always LED is the way to go (brighter, pull less power, last forever). See and be seen!
  8. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Bf Goodrich at ko's work real good in 4' snow on out old jeep. I've also used pep boys definite Dakota at2 and like them a lot. I don't know about mud tires.
  9. Fine Burban

Fine Burban Member

Thanks for the input on the lighting. Will be looking at the site when I get home. I agree on the LED systems Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I have been a long time fan of the BFG's A/Ts and the tread i have on the tires that came with the truck that I have now are VERY similar so I think I will give them a try and do some research on my own and possibly learn the hard way.
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Where are you from? I grew up going up into the cascades.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk