What to use on black plastic body panels?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by Pikey, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I could use some ideas here. I have a 2005 Yukon Xl. The back panels between the side glass and back window are starting to look a little faded. There is also "blueing" in some of the ridges. I am assuming that this is from a product that the last owner used on it. I prefer not to use a tire product as I hate when they streak down the paint. Being that the panels are a little textured I am afraid to put wax on them. Any Suggestions on a product to use on them? Here are some pics, as you can see it looks "whitish" in the grooves on the pics, the color is actually a blueish white. Thanks for the help!
    IMG_0382.jpg IMG_0383.jpg
  2. Jaele

Jaele Member

3. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

Armor all has a new dust repelling wax that I started using at the beginning of the summer. It is not a carnauba based wax and it doesn't even feel like traditional wax once applied. It is magical on plastic parts and makes them look new again and the clean lasts for a long time.

It is a bit spendy, but really worth it. I have only had to wash my truck 2 to 3 times this summer. It just doesn't get dirty nearly as fast with this stuff on it.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

Thanks guys. I will look into those products
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

Is it called Armor All Extreme shield?
  6. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

Yes. that's the stuff! My black door handles and plastic bumper covers came back to new looking without even working it in... Wipe it on, dry it off... Done!
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

Sweet! Thanks! I will give it a try. It is not all that spendy considering what I used to pay for Meguiar's Medallion.
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

Hey [MENTION=12002]moogvo[/MENTION], I wanted to let you know that Autozone has a $10 rebate on that stuff right now! So I ended up paying $5.99 for it in the end. It worked great! the panels look brand new. I wish that I would have known about this stuff sooner. Here is a pic, it is hard to tell but the whitish spots are gone and it is solid black. Thanks again. IMG_0394.jpg
  9. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

Dude! You SUCK! I paid close to $20.00 per bottle for that stuff when it first came out! LOL! It is worth it and I will definitely buy it again... I think I may stock up on some today while it is on sale! (I was looking for a good excuse to go to the auto parts store...) LOL!

Glad you like it! It LASTS and LASTS! It's great on interior parts too! I also did my glass with it... you have to be careful with that to avoid streaks. Don't let it set too long. Once it dries it is a booger to get off!
  10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

Unfortunately, there is a limit of one rebate per household. I forgot to mention that I had a $20 reward at Autozone also, so I payed $7 out the door for the wax and a bottle of leather cleaner. Then I get the rebate so I made $3. :rofl: I did the entire truck in it. The black on the rear bumper, on the mirrors, and around all the windows look brand new. I will try the glass also. I drive a dirt road alot and will be interested to see if the back window is covered in dust as usual. I have to say that I am a little disapointed about one thing. The fact that you knew about this product for an entire summer and did not share with us. :lol:
  11. Salesguy1980

Salesguy1980 Member

I 2nd the 303 Aerospace protectant. I am on my 2nd bottle in 3 yrs and love this stuff. Works wonders on all exterior black trim, mirrors etc and very good on my extang tonneu cover. I haven stayed away from armoral crap since I found this stuff and haven't looked back
  12. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

Oh... but I did talk about it in a thread back in April!

13. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

Crap! I guess I missed that one. Your truck looks nice in the pics
  14. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I have not seen the 303 in stores. Do you find it in a store or have to order online?
  15. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

Haahaahaa! I am just poking at ya bro! Thanks! I think the truck turned out really well... for the most part. :)
  16. Salesguy1980

Salesguy1980 Member

My local true value hardware stocks it. Not cheap was around $15 a bottle but lasts a long time, has a high UV protectant in it which is why its pricey.
  17. 1993gmc

1993gmc New Member

Spray Plastic Dip on them and be done for a long time.
  18. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

So last night at the fire station, one of my fellow firefighters asked me if I had my truck painted. I told him no. Then he asked if I had just waxed it. Nope. Then he told me that it looks different than it did last week. I hosed it down and wiped the body with a rag and a bucket of plain cold water with no soap. The water still beads like it did the day I waxed it back in the spring.

The armor all was a wise purchase. :)
  19. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I drove down a dirt road today. When Igot home I checked the back window and bumper. These spots are always covered in thick dust after I go down that road. While there was dust there, it was less then a 1/4 of the amount that normally collects back there. I am happy with my purchase
  20. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

So, today was the first rain we had since I put the ultimate shield on my truck. All I have to say is WOW! The truck had some dust on it before the rain. Usually, when it rains with dust on the truck it leaves dirty water spots all over. I parked the truck in my garage and came out half an hour later. It looks like I towel dried it! It is cleaner than it was before the rain. Not a water spot on it!