What to use on black plastic body panels?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by Pikey, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Kady

Kady New Member

I used to use Back to Black from Black Magic, Worked great for me...
  2. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member

in a fit of "fed-up-ness" i used WD40 on my plastic air valance? in the front of the truck... wow its, brand new and staying that way...
    those are more glossy... but it wouldnt hurt to try...
  3. treitz3

treitz3 New Member

Hello, K15 Blazer Guy. I like your signature.....speaks volumes. Anyhoo, I have been using http://www.notouch.ca/product/seriously-wet-33 for a long time on my truck. The plastic looks as good now as it did when it left the factory. There is a process though that's pretty easy. You want to spray it on when the sun is out and let it be absorbed into the areas for about an hour or two. After that, I take water with just a tad bit of dish washing detergent, such as Dawn, and clean the truck as normal. When I am done, I break out a spray bottle of 25% vinegar and water along with one Terry towel and one microfiber cloth. I spray the inside and outside windows with the mixture and wipe down with the Terry towel, followed by a light buff with the microfiber cloth to remove any haze or streaks.

The end result yields a quick process without pre-scrubbing or cleaning the plastic, a consistent satin "look" finish on all plastic and tires and spotless windows. The total elapsed time [minus the "set time" for the Seriously Wet] takes about 20-30 minutes for the entire truck. More if I really want to get anal with the detailing. Usually lasts about a month, which is about how often I usually wash the truck anyways.

If you have some really bad embedded dirt, paint, wax or other substance within the texture of the plastic(s), just stop by a car wash that has a hand held pressure washer wand or pressure wash the embedded foreign substance out of the plastic. Do not worry about any lines that the pressure washer causes. Once you try this quick and simple technique, they simply disappear.

One added note....using the vinegar mixture will reduce the amount of dust/smoke residue [if you are a smoker] that clings to the window and dramatically reduces the amount of "fog" haze or dew buildup when varying temperature conditions exist. Not only that, it has not seemed to affect the Rain-ex applications to the exterior of the windows at all.

Thanks, Jaele. I appreciate the advice. While I like the system I have, sometimes I'd like to buy a little bit more time between my cleaning process. Your recommendation just may be the ticket I'm looking for.

Tom