1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

what tools are required for brake shoe replacement

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by tidyupthegarage, Apr 12, 2011.

1. tidyupthegarage

tidyupthegarage New Member

Have a 2007 silverado and rear brakes wore out before front brakes. What tools are needed to do the rear brakes myself. If you can tell me a part number of a Snap on tool, i can look that up because i have the catalog to view.
    I can look up mac and matco too

Thank You for the time
  2. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site. I don't know if you need any special tools, but someone else will be better able to answer your question. Any idea how you wore out your rear brakes first?
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Ive never really done rear brakes with special tools. usually use a screwdriver instead of a brake spoon for the adjustment. drum brakes do need to be adjusted afterwards. a pair of vice grips or pliers to grab the springs for removal and installation. A photographic memory (or digital picture) so you make sure to put it all back correctly. on some vehicles (and I beleive this is one, sorry both my last two trucks had disc rear) there are two different size shoes (pad surface) and is very important that they are istalled correctly. rear brake shoes can be a pain because of all the peices and springs. Just make sure to keep track of everything. if you are fairly mechanical they really arent bad, can just give you fits every now and then. I know the rear shoes on my saturn I just did had me cussing cuz they werent cooperating and Ive done a lot of them. grab a can or two of brake clean as well.
  4. clgoch187

clgoch187 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

disc or drums?
  5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I beleive chevy went back to drum rear after 2004. but if they are disc thats way easier.
  6. tidyupthegarage

tidyupthegarage New Member

Drum Brakes, i am doing them monday
  7. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

8. adam0285

adam0285 Rockstar

Drum Brakes are the devil! Now that I got that off my chest, I changed the drum brakes on my '07 Silverado last weekend. It is impossible to confuse which shoe goes on which side of the brake because one of them has a spring that the parking brake cable has to go through for it to function. That is also the worst part of putting the brakes back together, getting the end of the parking brake cable into the notch in the end of the spring. The problem i was having was the cable would work itself back up into the parking brake tube that comes into the back of the drum. I ended clamping a pair of vice grips on the cable to keep it from sliding around and that made it much easier. That being said I am probably going to be converting the rear to disc brakes rather than change another set of drums on my truck.
  9. alabamaxrebel

alabamaxrebel Rockstar 100 Posts

DO ONE SHOE AT A TIME! The retaining spring will be a b*tch to get back together if you take the whole assembly apart. Learned that the hard way. Took myself and my cousing(certified mechanic) and hour to do the side we took the whole thing apart on and 15 minutes to do the other side where we left the spring n one shoe and replaced one at a time. Nice little trick. Helps to have two people to keep everything lined up as well. Good luck!
  10. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts